2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need engine - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
GNRFreak69 is on a distinguished road
Default Need engine - which one?

I have a 1998 Blazer which I believe is W code? How can I tell for sure. Anyway it's knocking pretty bad, and I want to replace it. What do I need to know before I buy a used engine? Will a 1994 vortec work, or will I have to change out too many things? I don't mind changing out parts, but I would like to find a direct bolt in. I would appreciate any help I can get cuz I'm stuck without my blazer. I have attached the code from under the hood.

Attached Thumbnails Need engine - which one?-98blazercodes.jpg  
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 PM

Ok, am I right in assuming any of the 4.3 vortecs will work? I will just need to use my current intake, distributor, coil pack, etc. or would I be better off finding an engine the same year?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you assume that you would be incorrect. Information is plentiful here and this topic has been covered before. You can also search the net for an article by Doug Andersen entitled Rebuilding the 262.

You need a 96+ SCFI motor to swap in to your truck. While the short block would be quite similar to the earlier CPI motors, there are a number of things that are different that makes it quite difficult to use an earlier motor in a later model application.

So that 94 motor will not be what you want.

In the future, please have patience when you ask for information.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Sorry if I came off as being impatient. I am not. I am just asking questions. I have been searching the forums for a few days, but have not ran across any threads that say what engines will fit. Thank you for this information.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 AM

We purchased an 03 X engine to go into the 98 blazer that has the blown W type engine. I was told by the guy that all we need to do was swap out the intake manifold, and the oil pan. I believe the X engine is out of an 03 2wd blazer. Has anyone done this particular swap or something similar that can give us some advice? If we do need to swap out the oilpan, should we also use the old oil pump, or just the pickup tube? Any other gotchas on this one? Do we use the 03 intake gaskets or the 98 ones, or are they the same? From what I can tell the distributors look similar as well.

Thanks for any help.