2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 AM
aclaybor is on a distinguished road
Question Need some Advice

To begin, I'd like to apologize to everyone if this is being improperly posted; this is my first official post here.

Getting that out of the way, I wanted some superiors' advice on something; I'm having a hard time making a decision. So, about two years ago I bought a used '98 4x4 Jimmy as my first vehicle; the vehicle had somewhat high mileage, but I was naive and somewhat dead-set on having a Blazer/Jimmy. About a month or two goes by and the engine throws a rod on a road-trip to Nashville. If I had to guess I would say that the engine had been leaking oil from one of the lines which gradually starved the engine of oil. This is just a theory.

Anyway, the truck has almost 200k on it, 190k to be exact, and I was wondering if it would be worth my while to throw down money on a used/reman engine. My concern is this, should the transmission be able to hold up for awhile longer, or is it nearing a point of having to be rebuilt? When I bought the truck I had the fluid changed at a shop and from I remember the transmission shifting fine; it didn't seem to slip at all and 4 wheel drive engaged completely.

What are your opinions on this? I'm not looking for a project vehicle, I just want something that is going to become my daily driver. Given the mileage, should I consider the investment?

Thank you in advance.
-Alex

Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I would repair it myself. A junk yard engine shouldn't be too pricey, but it's not uncommon to find a used Blazer with a rough body for around the same price to use as a doner for an engine and a lot of other spare parts.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:28 PM

I was thinking about getting an engine from a yard. How reliable are they, typically? There is a website that I found through the forums that sells used engines from various yards around the country. Apparently they will offer a one-year warranty on whatever engine you buy? Would it be worth my time to try that?

Like I said, my concern would be running into other problems. The truck has been sitting for two years now.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Most junk yards offer a warranty. Most are reliable, it really depends on the maintenance history of the vehicle. I think it would be worth your time. The only thing that would be a real problem in a vehicle sitting 2 years would be the mold growing everywhere...

Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 AM

Well thank you for the advice. I think that I may go the used route. I really have nothing to lose if the engine comes with a warranty. Here is the site that I considering buying from: Supplier of remanufactured/rebuilt car engines, marine and truck engines for GM, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep

Unless you or anyone else have any objections, I may just go ahead and buy from them. I wouldn't be opposed to paying 900 for a used engine.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest a used or junk yard engine based soley on price. Yes it is a crap shoot as to how the engine was maintained, but if you have the ability to remove the oil pan and then a main and rod bearing cap....you can see. If bad, have the yard get another engine for you.

Do the R&R yourself and save the money....a bit of work, but you will learn alot.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

shop around, don't be afraid of newer year engines, I found mine with 56k miles on it for 550 at a yard, it was from a totaled 2003 s10... came with a 6 month warranty

Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 AM

Okay, I think that I'll do that. I really don't see the point in dropping all that extra money into a re-manufactured engine, especially given the high mileage of all the other existing parts on my truck. Looks like I'll be updating you guys if I get it running again.