2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New Brakes --> follow Haynes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Beginning Member
Jonboy is on a distinguished road
Default New Brakes --> follow Haynes?

I've never done brakes on an ABS system before, though I've done plenty on older cars with no issue. I looked in the DIY section, an didn't see anything....

Should I follow what is in my Haynes manual to replace them (I need new rotors too), or is there a good online article somewhere on here?

Or should I pay someone else to do them?

Thanks,

Old 05-12-2011, 11:13 PM
rodono is on a distinguished road

when changing the brakes you will not noitice the ABS system the sensor is on the wheel hub and not the disc. but yeah why not use the haynes if you got it. i have one and use it as a good refrence book.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:19 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, there isn't really much difference when it comes to changing ones with ABS from my experience just sometimes you have to bleed the brakes a bit differently.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Beginning Member
leeroy74 is on a distinguished road

There is no difference with an abs brake job. Just take your time and have fun saving money and doing it yourself. There are also youtube videos on blazer brake jobs that helped me!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I have heard that when you compress the caliper to install new pads, you should open the bleeder to let fluid out instead of forcing it back to the reservuior. This will prevent contaminated/dirty fluid from being pushed back into the ABS valves. Just in case there is a bit of rust from a line that could clog a valve.

That is the only thing I do differently than on a non-ABS vehicle.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

Brakes on your vehicle are very easy. One thing to keep in mind is that if doing the rear brakes, you likely will need to replace the calipers, they typically seize after the rear brake pads are replaced. Save yourself the trouble of doing the job twice, consider loaded calipers for the rear brakes.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TZFBird
I have heard that when you compress the caliper to install new pads, you should open the bleeder to let fluid out instead of forcing it back to the reservuior. This will prevent contaminated/dirty fluid from being pushed back into the ABS valves. Just in case there is a bit of rust from a line that could clog a valve.

That is the only thing I do differently than on a non-ABS vehicle.
I would recommend this on all vehicles, not just ABS equiped vehicles. Contamination can damage the seals in the master cylinder as well.