2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New here and have some issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikesz1984
lol,or bungee cord,

did that on my LB when i broke the bolt for the hold down wedge. lasted over 16 months before i "got around" to changing it.

worked just as good as the factory suggestion.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Beginning Member
mikesz1984 is on a distinguished road

well i brought it home tonight, safety check is done, now to get the e-test done on it, i do have a temporary plate on it so, the family and i took it out for a drive, put about 120 km on it, does seem to make a bit of noise from the left front wheel bearing on it, but other than that, everything else seems good on it.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member

e-test is done, and it passed, but barely. The HC PPM limit was 50 and i read 49 on it. everything else was good. at an idle the hc was good, only when it was being load tested did it read high. the idle was at 1400 rpm.

The engine is not throwing any codes, but after the vehicle is warm it doesnt start as well as when it is cold. Dont get me wrong it starts good, just it sounds like it is labouring just a little when starting warm.

Does anybody have any clues what i should do before it gets worse.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already, I would clean the MAF sensor and EGR valve. If you don't know the age of the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, it would probably be a good idea to replace those as well. General tune up items. Maybe run a bottle or three of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner through the truck to clean the injectors.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If you haven't already, I would clean the MAF sensor and EGR valve. If you don't know the age of the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, it would probably be a good idea to replace those as well. General tune up items. Maybe run a bottle or three of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner through the truck to clean the injectors.
Thanks for the reply, plugs cap and rotor are going to picked up today, i will pick up some of the injector cleaner this week, i will also get some wires as well. What i am going to do right now though is read up on how to do the plugs, they dont look very user friendly. I will also read up on how to clean the egr, and maf sensor.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These should help:
MAF Sensor Cleaning by garry2000blazer
EGR Valve Cleaning by garry2000blazer
2nd Gen #3 Sparkplug Removal compilation from a thread on the subject

Wires can be a bit fun with the blind un-clipping of the wire retainers at the back of each cylinder head.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find put where the plugged vacuum line went. You might try the cruise control servo if you truck has cruise. Mine kept falling off and I just cut it back about 1/2" to get some fresh meat on the connection.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
that should be a given for any vehicle.

even if the previous owner has stated to me that he "just did all that", i still pull everything apart to verify what's really been done, and what was used. had a guy once tell me he just did it 2 weeks before i bought his truck. but when i asked him how much fun he had on the #3 plug, he just looked @ me with a puzzled look.

sure he just did a tune up, but he skipped #3 & #6, did the cap-but not the rotor, and only wiped down the wires with some "Brake Clean" (most of the writing was rubbed off, and you could actually smell it a bit).

my point is, don't take anyone's word, verify for yourself.

keep us posted on how it turns out. but @ least you're road worthy now.

**edit** WOW! just finished reading all of the whole thread that "2nd Gen #3 Sparkplug Removal compilation from a thread on the subject" was based on, and Kyle you said it, that guy Charles (goat6500) was such a tool! (politest word i could think of)

kinda funny how most of his posting was based on that thread, and even funnier is that his last log in was the day him thread was closed. very funny reading material indeed! anyone needing a good laugh should read the original thread, plus it'll give you some ideas on how it's done (if you didn't know already).

this is such a fun place!

Last edited by old skool luvr; 02-07-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Beginning Member

wow that was quite the thread, lol. hopefully it warms up this week,
i will tackle it than.

The motor did thow a code today, i believe it was front o2 sensor, so i will probably do that first. other than that i have put about 180 miles on it so far, and it seems to be running good.(other than that code)