2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New one

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 AM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New one

OK. Pulled my boat to the river for the first time. Everything was good. Stopped off and filled up the gas tank on my boat. When I restarted my '00 4wd 2 door, it idled rough and had the check engine light on. It was too late for me to do anything else, so I got the boat in the water and hauled my trailer home.

Anyway, still had a really rough idle. According to the oil gauge, my oil pressure was fluctuating. Plus, by the time I got home, the truck was emitting a smell that was remarkably like rotten eggs. Rotten eggs makes me think of catalytic converter.

In any case, I'm going to get the parts store to read to code for me. Any ideas for me? Probably need to get this thing working. Hate to ruin my toys because of supporting character failures.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New one

If you disconnect and remove one of the upstream O2 sensors, does the idle get better? How was the performance on the trip home? If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge (they aren't too expensive), what is the fuel pressure when you first turn the key on? Does it hold pressure after the fuel pump shuts off?

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* - Gen Chat is not the place for tech questions.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM

Thanks for moving this to the right place.

I haven't had a chance to really dig in to this one yet. Guess I'll just have them read the code for me. Hopefully it'll be something easy like an O2 sensor...

Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even if an O2 sensor is tripping a code, it may not be at fault... Please try the test I mentioned and let us know the results. There are a lot of different things that can happen to cause certain codes and it isn't always just the sensor that the PCM is indicating when it triggers that code.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Well, the code was a cylinder 1 misfire. I just changed my plugs, wires, cap, and rotor a few weeks ago. Waiting for the truck to cool down now, then I'm going to check all my work. Could be something as simple as a plug wire pulling free. Keeping my fingers crossed.

If there's nothing wrong there, I'll start some of the other trouble shooting you suggested.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

I have seen, on numerous occasions, where a wire boot has pushed off of one or more of the terminals on the distributor cap. I always use dielectric grease on these terminals which makes things that much more slick which usually results in them coming off sooner. Now, I use a small screwdriver to 'burp' the air out of the terminal as I slide the boot on. This can make the wires a bit difficult to remove as they sort of vacuum seal themselves on, but they'll stay for sure!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Simple fix. Plug wire came off the plug some how...

Now I just have to do some searching to find out how to clear the code. The check engine light is still on.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

It will clear itself if you just drive it.