2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new vacuum lines, burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by er0ck273
im not 100% sure he ever touched the one going to the transfer case, i think that was done maybe 2 years ago, because i couldnt get 4wd. i will still look at it though. if you had a second option of where the burning/melting line is, what do you think? ill check as much as i can at once
Well, I have two ideas. First, if I am looking at your one pic correctly (and if this is the 3-button system), that hose that routes over top of the power brake booster is long and gets pretty close to the exhaust down pipe if the hose was not zip-tied correctly to the hold points. If he did change it, and didn't zip-tie it correctly it can be pretty "dangly". Assuming mine is in the correct position that is. I think you might want to get a flashlight and and look over top of the driver's side tire at your exhaust manifold. Just move that black floppy inner fender seal out of the way. If you've changed your spark plugs you know what i'm talking about. If you can get your arm in well enough you might want just feel your way along the back of the manifold and down the down pipe to see if you feel anything resting against. Of course I would highly suggest you do this when the engine and exhaust is cold

My second thought is when he was cutting hose, a piece fell down and is stuck near the exhaust manifold. I don't know...it's reach...that's all the ideas I can come up with.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:05 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
Well, I have two ideas. First, if I am looking at your one pic correctly (and if this is the 3-button system), that hose that routes over top of the power brake booster is long and gets pretty close to the exhaust down pipe if the hose was not zip-tied correctly to the hold points. If he did change it, and didn't zip-tie it correctly it can be pretty "dangly". Assuming mine is in the correct position that is. I think you might want to get a flashlight and and look over top of the driver's side tire at your exhaust manifold. Just move that black floppy inner fender seal out of the way. If you've changed your spark plugs you know what i'm talking about. If you can get your arm in well enough you might want just feel your way along the back of the manifold and down the down pipe to see if you feel anything resting against. Of course I would highly suggest you do this when the engine and exhaust is cold

My second thought is when he was cutting hose, a piece fell down and is stuck near the exhaust manifold. I don't know...it's reach...that's all the ideas I can come up with.
by the hose you mean that routes over the brake booster, do you mean the larger hose that goes to the center of the engine, or one of the smaller hoses? oh im pretty sure i know what you mean about the fender seal lol. its like a cut out flap inside the drivers side fender?

oh and dont worry ill make sure the engines cool haha

Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM

by the hose you mean that routes over the brake booster, do you mean the larger hose that goes to the center of the engine, or one of the smaller hoses? oh im pretty sure i know what you mean about the fender seal lol. its like a cut out flap inside the drivers side fender?

oh and dont worry ill make sure the engines cool haha
I'm speaking of the smaller hose that is routed over top of the booster and disappears into the tranny tunnel.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:50 PM

im going to go take a look at that one now. ill let you know if or what i find

Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM

im pretty sure i found the line you were talking about. it goes to the center of the engine bay near the distributor cap to a canister mounted ? if not im confused as always haha. i could always take more pictures. i saw a few of my security system wires dangling, but none looked burnt at all

Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM

im pretty sure i found the line you were talking about. it goes to the center of the engine bay near the distributor cap to a canister mounted ? if not im confused as always haha. i could always take more pictures. i saw a few of my security system wires dangling, but none looked burnt at all
The line I'm speaking of goes down behind the engine. There could be differences on a 2000 I am not aware of. At this point it's probably best to just examine your exhaust manifold and the downpipe . Looking for anything that is touching. That's the best I can come up with.

Actually, I have an even better idea. Go back to the mechanic and tell him something is burning and also ask why he left a bolt in your vacuum line and didn't correctly connect it. Request he fix these problems at no cost since it was what you originally paid for.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
spittybays

Actually, I have an even better idea. Go back to the mechanic and tell him something is burning and also ask why he left a bolt in your vacuum line and didn't correctly connect it. Request he fix these problems at no cost since it was what you originally paid for.

+++ 100%

Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rockp2
The line I'm speaking of goes down behind the engine. There could be differences on a 2000 I am not aware of. At this point it's probably best to just examine your exhaust manifold and the downpipe . Looking for anything that is touching. That's the best I can come up with.

yea that would make the most sense. im still waiting on that call from last friday. gonna give him a call now and ill let you know what hes gotta say to it, and i havent paid for anything yet, the bill hasnt come in

Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
spittybays

Just show up, hey man what's going on?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:26 PM

haha he had me come down as soon as i called. a new guy was the one who did it. because theres one main guy who does good work there and he even said and i quote "yeah, i couldnt find where that line went so i just capped it" fat slob looking character. so i heard him getting yelled at while the usual guy took care of it. the best part of the story is they have a shop computer and type in whatever they want for any car ever made and tell them exactly where things are located. so this dude was just a bum. i told the owner (family friend) never to let him touch my vehicle again or hes going to lose a customer. i wouldnt be suprised if he was gone the next time im due for something

long story short. he found the canister. i saw him do it but i just wanna make sure. i told him all the suggestions you guys have given me about taking the abs and fuse box up to get to it. the nipple is right in front/side of the abs unit right? the picture made it hard to see.

everything is working (hvac, 4wd) so im assuming he got it...but the mystery is, theres still a burning smell. i think if i had to take a guess the split loom tubing thats holding the security system wires is so brittle and cracking (POS loom) maybe thats cracking and dropping on hot parts

Quick Reply: new vacuum lines, burning smell?