2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Odd smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Beginning Member
Codi is on a distinguished road
Default Odd smell

I'm always smelling this odd smell whenever I drive with the windows up. My Air Compressor has a leak, so I don't run my AC or fan. However, I smell a sweet smell, like Maple Syrup in my own opinion. The Anti-Freeze has been checked and it's fine, and all the oil pressure/water temp is fine too. It has no freon in it, because when I got it, we filled it, and it had all leaked out by the next time I drove it. So, we just sucked the rest out. So, any idea's on what the "Maple Syrup"/Sweet smell is?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

A sweet smell is generally an indication of burning coolant. Either inside the engine which will usually be noticeable by your exhaust being visible with white smoke if enough of it is being burned.
Also pull your oil dipstick to check for coolant in the oil. If it is leaking there the oil will look cloudy almost milky if enough has leaked in.

Or outside the engine with the possibility of a slight coolant leak that is dripping slowly onto a hot engine surface such as the exhaust manifold and vaporizing right away so you don't notice a leak under the car.

Even the very slightest of leaks can cause the odor, and the smell of burning coolant always has a habit of lingering for a while. A leak of only a drip or two a minute or less even can take a long time to notice a level drop in the reservoir But the smell can linger for days even after the problem has been fixed.

These trucks have a bad habit of leaking from the intake manifold gaskets after a while. They generally start leaking either into the oil first or out the other way and outside of the engine. Usually running down into the starter past the exhaust manifold and vaporizing there is the leak is small enough.

If it is determined that this is where your leak is coming from then you will want to replace the gasket right away as eventually it will give way completely and coolant will start to pour out rather then simply drip.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

agree with the above... it could be just doing one or two drips a day. probably on the heater core and its burning it off before it leaks down inside the truck.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

someday when you have driven it enough to warm it up, pop the hood and smell around to see if its stronger one place or another, if you dont smell it under the hood check the tailpipe for smell quick,if still nothing then it probably is the heater box.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member
Codi is on a distinguished road

Well, I just found out it has 8 error codes.
One was the Catalytic Converter, but 7 others have appeared since I scanned it when I got it.
I'll see if I can figure out where the smell is coming from, or if there are any abnormalities, or heck, if one of the codes explains it.