2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil chage filter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Kuntryboy816 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil chage filter question

It's time to change the oil on the wife's Blazer (2000/4.3) and I have just a quick question. The PO told me to make sure I use a GM specific filter b/c it has some sort of anti-flowback valve to keep the oil from draining back into the pan? ....supposedly keeps the engine lubricated during startups? I couldn't find any relevant facts using the search feature here.

Any help/direction is much appreciated.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816
It's time to change the oil on the wife's Blazer (2000/4.3) and I have just a quick question. The PO told me to make sure I use a GM specific filter b/c it has some sort of anti-flowback valve to keep the oil from draining back into the pan? ....supposedly keeps the engine lubricated during startups? I couldn't find any relevant facts using the search feature here.

If you don`t have a P.O. box look up summit racing.com The reason why because they don`t deliver to po boxes.But if you want a real oil filter..Look up K&N filters.Not sure if you have the deep pan 2 7/8 or the regular pan 2 1/4.Look at the pan is it flat or does it drop down to a deeper section.If it drops down to a deeper section..It`s a deep pan.I`ve always used k&N air filters and oil filters going on about 15 yrs. now.Or you can look up K&N.com themselves to get the part#.I have a 2wd blazer I use the bigger 4x4 filter.It`s only about an inch taller in size.I changed out my fuel filter about 4 months ago with the K&N brand filter.It `s up to you.But they do have co`s out there that make a much better product compared to G.M.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Kuntryboy816 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response and the info. I'll have to get her up in the air and check the oilpan to determine which pan it is.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response and the info. I'll have to get her up in the air and check the oilpan to determine which pan it is.
Not a problem

Not a problem!

Old 11-23-2015, 02:18 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with differing depths of the oil pan. I do know there is a standard and deep pan when it comes to the transmission, but this will have no impact on the oil filter.

As far as a check valve being in the oil filter, yes, I do believe there are models that have them. It is fine to use whatever #AC Delco filter GM recommends for the vehicle. I do not know the # off the top of my head. Any equivalent oil filter you like is also fine. I personally think K&N products are over-rated, but to each their own. I run WIX oil filters myself.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think K&N oil filters are over rated! I like their air filters so long as they are not over oiled on a MAF equipped vehicle, but that's the only thing from them.

Add another vote for WIX filters as well. NAPA brand filters are made by WIX.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

WIX filters all the way.
I think k&n oil filters are garbage, if I wanted to pay for full cardboard internals I would try to make my own filter out of a soup can, an old box and some shop towels.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:25 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
if I wanted to pay for full cardboard internals I would try to make my own filter out of a soup can, an old box and some shop towels.
I would like to see that actually

Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richphotos
WIX filters all the way.
I think k&n oil filters are garbage, if I wanted to pay for full cardboard internals I would try to make my own filter out of a soup can, an old box and some shop towels.
But they put the nut on the bottom of the filter that makes it SOOOO easy to remove it!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

we own 3 blazers. one has over 250M miles on it. from the get go I have used mobil one synthetic in all of them. along with a mobil one filter.

I've never heard of the anti flowback thing.

I've used fram filters until a few years ago when I heard they started making them cheaper.

Quick Reply: Oil chage filter question