2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil chage filter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member
lunghdlunghd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazer47
we own 3 blazers. one has over 250M miles on it. from the get go I have used mobil one synthetic in all of them. along with a mobil one filter.

250 million miles? Good Lord, man! Were you driving it to Pluto for lunch every day?

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
I would like to see that actually
JCWhitney used to sell a kit for using toilet paper rolls inside a reusable oil filter cannister... (yah - I'm THAT old. )

Last edited by lunghdlunghd; 11-23-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816
It's time to change the oil on the wife's Blazer (2000/4.3) and I have just a quick question. The PO told me to make sure I use a GM specific filter b/c it has some sort of anti-flowback valve to keep the oil from draining back into the pan? ....supposedly keeps the engine lubricated during startups? I couldn't find any relevant facts using the search feature here.

Any help/direction is much appreciated.
Sorry about the screw up.That was my son talking about trany filters and oil filters he thought it was another thread.But when it comes to buying wix, puralator?That`s the crap they sell at jiffy lube,5 minute oil change, jethro`s auto up in the hills of south carolina or jims hardware .They all sell the cheapest filters they get their hands on.Why you think they don`t at least sell G.M. filters.I`ve used G.M. fiters in the past,I just wasn`t pleased with GM period.Everybody has their own opinion.You will get what you pay for.When someone works on cars/ trucks half their life Like I did?I know what Im talking about.If you want to"Step over a nickel to save a penny..So each`s own.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would guess you have the k&n filter sticker on your window, extra HP baby!

But seriously, just going to have to agree to disagree with you.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Bottom line:

Change your oil & filter at the suggested intervals with the recommended products or their equivalents, and you should be fine...

(PF52 is the AC Delco p/n for the filter)

Old 11-24-2015, 06:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toocute350
Sorry about the screw up.That was my son talking about trany filters and oil filters he thought it was another thread.But when it comes to buying wix, puralator?That`s the crap they sell at jiffy lube,5 minute oil change, jethro`s auto up in the hills of south carolina or jims hardware .They all sell the cheapest filters they get their hands on.Why you think they don`t at least sell G.M. filters.I`ve used G.M. fiters in the past,I just wasn`t pleased with GM period.Everybody has their own opinion.You will get what you pay for.When someone works on cars/ trucks half their life Like I did?I know what Im talking about.If you want to"Step over a nickel to save a penny..So each`s own.
I know one thing for sure, I wouldn't want to be the next owner of any of your vehicles based on your often off the mark and/or WAY TOO generic responses to others on here. You'll probably blame those responses on your son (or anyone else), but I'm not buying it.

You do realize that Wix filters are one of the highest quality and reasonably priced filters available today and that Purolator (not mentioned here before you brought it up, but whatever) is pretty high up on the list as well for both metrics... If a quick lube place were to use either, I would see that as a sign of knowing & caring about what they were doing rather than milking their customers for all they can.

Have you ever taken any filters apart? Or just screwed them on and off when told by the internet?

If you aren't pleased with GM why are you here? Oh, that's right, you are here to advertise for Summit, right? You mention them in every one of your posts. I'm surprised that you haven't put an affiliate link to get a kick back for all of your mentions...
Originally Posted by richphotos
I would guess you have the k&n filter sticker on your window, extra HP baby!

But seriously, just going to have to agree to disagree with you.
Definitely have to disagree with him. I was waiting for the "But I saw them do this on Power Block!".

Old 11-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

for the guy who posted that my truck has a million miles on it I hope you were being funny as m is short for 1000 dude.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:16 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

JCWhitney used to sell a kit for using toilet paper rolls inside a reusable oil filter cannister... (yah - I'm THAT old. )[/QUOTE]

I hate to admit it but I remember those too along with the days B4 screw on filters and every thing was a canister type if you forgot to remove the old O ring you had a he** of a mess - Good old days hmmm lol - I have 5 vehicles plated and insured, Wix oil, fuel, ect.filters and Valvoline oil in all since i've owned them - 1998.5 dodge Cumins almost 300 tho miles on the clock and the 1983 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 is sitting at 210 tho miles on a 6.2 witch is unheard of so i guess I must be doing something right - and even tho I might save a buck or two on line, most things I buy is from my local retailer and support them - No support No retailer

Old 11-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lunghdlunghd
250 million miles? Good Lord, man! Were you driving it to Pluto for lunch every day?

JCWhitney used to sell a kit for using toilet paper rolls inside a reusable oil filter cannister... (yah - I'm THAT old. )

M is short for thousand bro. Mil is short for million.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:56 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazer47
M is short for thousand bro. Mil is short for million.
I think M is used for both thousand, and million and a bunch of other things depending on the field one is working in.

I've usually seen K used when abbreviating 1000 miles, or potassium, or as a lazy way to respond to a text...

I think lunghdlunghd was just messing with you as am I

Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 PM
JCBLAZER96 is on a distinguished road

I use German castrol sytec and mobil one filter m1201 I think it is

Quick Reply: Oil chage filter question