2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Cooler Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
tlbbrannon is on a distinguished road
Post Oil Cooler Question

I am in a bind i got a new radiator for my 4x4 blazer but it dont have oil cooling lines in it, I was told by a mechanic that the oil cooler was for towing and 4x4. i dont do either and need my truck now can i just bypass the oil cooling lines? my friend has a 96 also 2wd his does not have the oil cooler.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll screw around more trying to bypass it than you will just getting the proper radiator for your application.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM

i can not just connect top and bottom lines together?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure you can. It's your truck. I wouldn't recommend it, but that is completely up to you.

Are you doing this yourself or is there a mechanic that is responsible for ordering the wrong radiator and is now trying to talk you into bypassing factory equipment because of their mistake?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM

I am doing this i dont tow anything or use 4wd as i have only used it once in 5 years i have a family of 6 and we have no way to the store or anything right now can i do this then install a external oil cooler later?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

If the original radiator had an oil cooler for the truck, I advise staying with the original set up. True, an oil cooler is strongly recommended for towing and off roading, but any automatic transmission can benefit from an oil cooler. If you insist on using the radiator without the cooler in it, then I think you should install an external oil cooler as soon as possible. Automatic transmissions generate a lot of heat even when they are not being driven hard. A buddy of mine specializes in transmission rebuilds and he says that the number one cause of auto transmission failure is due to overheating. He runs an aftermarket external oil cooler in conjunction with the factory radiator oil cooler on all of his cars and trucks.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maddie's dad
If the original radiator had an oil cooler for the truck, I advise staying with the original set up. True, an oil cooler is strongly recommended for towing and off roading, but any automatic transmission can benefit from an oil cooler. If you insist on using the radiator without the cooler in it, then I think you should install an external oil cooler as soon as possible. Automatic transmissions generate a lot of heat even when they are not being driven hard. A buddy of mine specializes in transmission rebuilds and he says that the number one cause of auto transmission failure is due to overheating. He runs an aftermarket external oil cooler in conjunction with the factory radiator oil cooler on all of his cars and trucks.

it should have oil and transmission cooler lines on it...

Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Smile

Its fixed guys the new radiator had only oil cooling lines the old one busted on the oil side so i took off the tranny cooloer end cap and drilled holes in the new raidator and put the tranny cooler inside and put the end cap on. Its not as hard as its made out to be removing the end caps. just need a hammer a pair of vise grips a flathead screwdriver that will fit between the tabs and a bar clamp.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

Glad that it worked out for you tlbbannon. I must admit I've never tried removing and replacing the plastic end caps on a radiator.