2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Parking brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road
Default Parking brake issue

Hi, I have just renewed the parking brake shoes on my 1999 4WD Blazer. It has the "horseshoe" shaped one-piece rear shoes.
I adjusted the cable according to the Haynes manual & now I have a strange problem. When the vehicle is facing downhill the parking brake holds very firmly & will not even move if I put the transmission in drive & try to move forward. However, when the vehicle is facing uphill the parking brake hardly holds at all even at full application of the lever (I have a floor mounted parking brake between the front seats).
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

go to a level spot and apply the parking brake and the push on the blazer from both directions and see what happens.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM
julio is on a distinguished road
Default Uphill park/emergency brake issue

Originally Posted by blazerpower
go to a level spot and apply the parking brake and the push on the blazer from both directions and see what happens.
I have the same problem and did what you say, same problem when pushing backwards.
Someone told me that my reconstructed brake pads may be lacking an eccentricity to lock itself.
Any advice will be highly appreciated...

Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Did you adjust the shoes first then the cable? Or just the cable?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Throw away the Haynes manual unless you need to know how to change the oil! The stuff in them is wrong, missing, or outdated, (they're worthless).

This is straight out of the GM "dealer issue" shop manual:

Disconnect the park cables from the levers at each rear wheel. Adjust each star adjuster until the shoe just barely touches the drum when turning the rotor by hand. Re connect the cables. Loosen the equalizer nut and fully release the park brake pedal. Tighten the equalizer nut until the rear wheels will not rotate, (by hand) without using excessive force, in a forward direction. Loosen the equalizer nut until there is little or no drag when the rear wheels are rotated, (by hand) in a forward direction.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Throw away the Haynes manual unless you need to know how to change the oil! The stuff in them is wrong, missing, or outdated, (they're worthless).
couldnt agree more. everytime i ever looked in one of those books. i either couldnt find, or it didnt have what i was looking for. only use i ever found for them was the electrical diagrams in the back, if they are even right

Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

Mine holds going forward but not in reverse. Its a 2000

Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Joshs4x4
Mine holds going forward but not in reverse. Its a 2000
That's pretty much normal on any vehicle, (disc or drum brakes) except the rear disc equipped vehicles that mechanically move the caliper piston out to apply the park brake.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlackJimmy
Did you adjust the shoes first then the cable? Or just the cable?
Thanks BlackJimmy, we adjusted the shoes first, then the cable, but I think the cable is not tight enough. I'll try to adjust it again and post back

Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook

This is straight out of the GM "dealer issue" shop manual:

Disconnect the park cables from the levers at each rear wheel. Adjust each star adjuster until the shoe just barely touches the drum when turning the rotor by hand. Re connect the cables. Loosen the equalizer nut and fully release the park brake pedal. Tighten the equalizer nut until the rear wheels will not rotate, (by hand) without using excessive force, in a forward direction. Loosen the equalizer nut until there is little or no drag when the rear wheels are rotated, (by hand) in a forward direction.
Thanks Captain Hook, we pretty much did this but I'll do it again. How do I get this GM "shop manual" that you mention?