2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

premature starter failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 PM
rhok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default premature starter failure

Hi everyone, I have a

2000 jimmy sle
4.3l vortec
4 door
4x4
with tow package

and my question was why does my starter fail often, I have replaced my starter 4 times over 4 years. What could be continually causing this problem? I don't offroad, go mudding or really abuse my truck other than commuting. I do live in a colder climate if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: premature starter failure

poor quality parts?

Since there was no starter issues from 2000-2004 (OEM AC Delco), and from 04-08 you've replaced it ~ once a year...I'd say buy better parts.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I had trouble with the remanufactured starters I was getting from Advanced Auto,so the last time I had them order me an AC Delco remanufactured starter and you can see the the quality differance in just the fit and finish. I have not had a problem in over 5 years with the AC Delco Remanufactored Starter. If you really want to be sure get a new GM starter. I am always debating with myself as to when to get a part from GM/AC Delco or any old generic will do. When I get a generic part and it does not perform as the GM factory original I will either get a part from NAPA or GM. AC Delco parts arejust as good and are sometimes available at local parts store such as my starter. I bought a wiper motor from NAPA it did not function well, I ended up ordering a GM factory New one and have had no issues at all. My engine and trans are GM Goodwrench remanufactored.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I too would have to question the parts you are installing. You don't always have to go with the OEM new or reman equipment, but it definitely pays to do your homework on the parts you are getting. The larger chain stores often have low buck replacements they push and then higher dollar replacements that they often don't know is there. With starters, the trend is to just replace the bearings and brushes and call it good. I never use a starter that does not have a new solenoid on it as a rule.