2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Problems after Intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Problems after Intake gasket replacement

Bad data from any number of sensors can cause performance problems.

Does it seem like a certain throttle position is more problematic than another? If so, check the throttle position sensor. I have seen more than a few very strange problems be caused by a failing TPS. If tapping into the sensor signal wire back to the PCM with the ignition on, you should see around 0.5V with the throttle closed and it should be a smooth increase to around 4.5V with the throttle fully open. If at any point in time it drops out or pegs to 5V, you have a bad TPS.

*EDIT* - Didn't see the code...

P0147 - HO2S Heater Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 3

This will have zero affect on the operation of your truck, but may cause you not to pass an emissions test... If that is a problem for you and/or you just hate having the CEL on, I would first clear the code and see if it pops back up. If it doesn't and you have a pre (located in the exhaust directly ahead of the cat, but AFTER the 'Y' in the y-pipe) and the post-cat sensor and see if the problem follows the sensor. If it does, replace the sensor, if it doesn't, inspect the wiring for nicks, kinks, or other signs of wear.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Exodus5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could this be a transmission problem? I've been thinking about it and the truck has no problems reving when in park or neutral. It seems fine then. I realized it this morning when I reved it a couple of times before backing out of the driveway. No problems. Then I put it in drive and hit the gas and it starts the same problem taking off. It did it again at the end of my road, but didn't do it again the entire trip to work. I found some messages about torque convertor problems, but it's doing it taking off AND at highway speed.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 AM

Forget that last post. It seems to have gotten worse and is doing it when I rev it at idle now. Here's an update. It only seems to do it between 1800-2300 RPM's. I have checked all of the wires and the one on the coil just a hair looser than I'd like so I pushed it all the way on...No change. I ran the engine and took off the intake so I could look into the throttle body once I turned it off. No big fuel smell, so I don't think it's the pressure regulator leaking, but I did get some whitish smoke. Do any of you think I screwed the intake gasket replacement job? Anyway, I need to check the TPS but it's 17 degrees here.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 PM

It's back again. I've now replaced the fuel filter, intake gaskets, plugs/wires/cap/rotor. I tried to check the TPS by removing the intake but leaving the sensors connected. The truck idled like crap and went nuts when I started it. How do you check the TPS voltage without removing the plastic intake pipes? Can anyone recommend a good scanner that can read the TPS voltage from the computer?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you wait for the RTV to fully cure (12-24 hours) before starting up the truck after you did the lower intake gasket? Have you checked the engine vacuum? This could be it. Or if you goofed the tightening of the bolts, or moved the manifold too much while your were seating it this could be it. Did you tap/die the bolts and bolt holes prior to reinstallation? You also should have put non-hardening sealant on those bolts I believe. Did you make sure you tightened them in the recommended sequence and to the correct torque? Did you make sure you didn't drop stuff down into the lifter valley or down the vents in the block when you did the job? Well, I guess there are a lot of things that COULD go wrong.

Otherwise, maybe a valve problem? Just a guess.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Yes. No. No. Yes. Yes. Yes.
I kinda got fed up with it today and just started pulling sensors and looking at the condition. I pulled the MAP sensor and it was really nasty, so I got a replacement at Autozone and the truck seemed to no longer be acting up. This was, however, a warm day and it may wait until it gets cold again to rear it's ugly head.

ORIGINAL: kerander

Did you wait for the RTV to fully cure (12-24 hours) before starting up the truck after you did the lower intake gasket? Have you checked the engine vacuum? This could be it. Or if you goofed the tightening of the bolts, or moved the manifold too much while your were seating it this could be it. Did you tap/die the bolts and bolt holes prior to reinstallation? You also should have put non-hardening sealant on those bolts I believe. Did you make sure you tightened them in the recommended sequence and to the correct torque? Did you make sure you didn't drop stuff down into the lifter valley or down the vents in the block when you did the job? Well, I guess there are a lot of things that COULD go wrong.

Otherwise, maybe a valve problem? Just a guess.