2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Programming mode won't detect FOB(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 07:42 PM
Chewson is on a distinguished road
Default Programming mode won't detect FOB(s)

Hey guys! First post here, hope I'm in the right place. I'm in Canada with a '99 Blazer LS, the original OE FOB was slowly dying, (had to press it multiple times and wave it around to get it to work) and eventually it stopped completely. I put a brand new battery in and ... it still didn't work! So I looked a little closer inside and saw the clip that holds the battery in place was a little bent out of shape, repositioned it without disturbing the soldered spots and it held the battery snug.. Still didn't work. Figured, what the hell, maybe I'll try reprogramming it! And... Didn't work!

So today I got a new universal FOB that had great reviews and is specifically made to work with my year and model (
Amazon Amazon
) and it won't program either!!

I've tried multiple times, and the Blazer gets into program mode easy-peasy, I hold unlock, click-click the key, release unlock, the locks cycle, and I hold down the buttons as per the instructions on this forum (and everywhere else I've looked) and neither the OE FOB or replacement FOB will program.

I'm totally at a loss, every other troubleshooting thread has people who can't get into program mode, or just had dead batteries. I have tried everything in my power, what the hell else could be wrong with it? My key only works in the passenger side lock now, so it's a royal pain in the *** getting in every time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Old 07-07-2022, 09:33 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

There is two different remote FOBs for my 2001. Has same problem when buying the wrong one off Amazon. There is a number on the original FOB that will tell you the correct one. Check this first!

Old 07-07-2022, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the response! Supposedly, the one I got is compatible with P/N 15732805 (OE for 98's-01's) but if there ever was a part number on my OE fob it rubbed off (along with the button labels) a decade ago haha.

[Edit: I cracked open the FOB to check inside as well just in case, but there's no numbers to identify it sadly]

Old 07-08-2022, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chewson
Thanks for the response! Supposedly, the one I got is compatible with P/N 15732805 (OE for 98's-01's) but if there ever was a part number on my OE fob it rubbed off (along with the button labels) a decade ago haha.

[Edit: I cracked open the FOB to check inside as well just in case, but there's no numbers to identify it sadly]
I checked and for 2001 they can require either the 15732805/KOBUT1BT fob or the 10443537/KOBLEAR1XT fob. Seems the 1999 only takes the 15732805/KOBUT1BT so you should have the correct one for a 1999.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:36 AM

Locksmiths have fob testers that can test your fob functions. I have a local ACE hardware that has one as well. Here's the factory diagnostic info for your 1999.

FYI Keyless entry errors can set "Body codes" that can help with diagnostics. Not very many inexpensive scanners can read body codes. But Car Diagnostic Pro for Android is one of them. Don't know what level you are at, but hopefully this info will help.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Locksmiths have fob testers that can test your fob functions. I have a local ACE hardware that has one as well. Here's the factory diagnostic info for your 1999.

FYI Keyless entry errors can set "Body codes" that can help with diagnostics. Not very many inexpensive scanners can read body codes. But Car Diagnostic Pro for Android is one of them. Don't know what level you are at, but hopefully this info will help.
Thanks for the resources man! I have a cheap bluetooth OBDII and the free version of Torque hahah that's about the extent of my diagnostic abilities, but I do have some guys who might be able to help out more. If they can't figure it out, I'll reach out to some locksmiths (I imagine that'll still be cheaper than going to a dealership eh?)

Honestly I'm suspecting the BCM could be on it's way out (I do have some weird warning light issues at times) or it could just be a wiring issue somewhere. Hit some nasty ruts and potholes in between the FOB working partially and then not at all, just hadn't considered it til now.

Wish me luck and have a great weekend!