2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

questions on replacing Cat's

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Eggkr8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default questions on replacing Cat's

Hi All,

I am doing a catalytic convteror replacement tomorrow and I was wondering if there are any tricks I should know about? The Blazer is a 2001 4 dr, 4x4, with the 4.3 L.

I crawled under it last weekend and sprayed all the bolts with PBlaster and was planning on doing it again tonight. Those bolts where the cat meets the header look pretty bad for access!

Thanks in advance,

Eggkr8

Old 09-22-2007, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: questions on replacing Cat's

replacing it with stock?

if your area dosent do emission tests, ditch the cat.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Emissions testing or not, it is against federal law and as such is not recommended.

Are you going with a direct fit or universal? For the universal fit, just leave the exhaust all hooked up and cut the pipe before and after the stock cat with an exhaust pipe cutter. Just measure the replacement cat and cut that much out of the stock pipe. For a direct fit, make sure that you have new gaskets and bolts in case you break the bolts that are in there.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Eggkr8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I am in MA and they do require emissions testing.

I am replacing it with a direct fit factory type unit. I don't have time for monkeying with the universal ones

Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah so as I said, bolts and gaskets.

I too wouldn't mess with the universals. For the cost of stainless replacements, it wouldn't be worth my time to put in a universal. I can torch off the bolts and have the new cat in place in the time it would take to make the first cut. Spend the rest of that time playing with my son.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:29 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazinloud
ditch the cat.
I'm 100%betting all those fancy electrical do-dad-isms will come back to bite your sensors in the *** end, over such removal matters!

Don't know if a 1995Blazer is set up differently than the newer Blazers, but sneaking the Cat.Convertor out fromunder there was a real PITA for me.I rememeber having to loosen some cross member to make room. Not a fun project for those not having a hoist.