2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear View Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
99 BlazerNZ is on a distinguished road
Default Rear View Mirror Replacement

Need hints on how to remove RHS mirror to repair broken centre post or install new one !!! Previous owner didnt know about the foldaway function !!!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Our Jap Blazers all come with power fold option. This was not available in the USA / Canada as far as I'm aware. They have the manual fold mirrors.

To remove it you need to remove the door panel - 2 screws hidden behind the armrest, there are 3 screws that hold the mirror to the door. Simply unplug the 2 power connectors & out it comes.
These things were clearly not designed to be repaired. Believe me I've tried! I've had a number of them which I've tried to get into. First to replace the powerfold motor (some hoon's had folded it forward when they walked past) & another to change the glass.

To take it apart you need to smash the mirror to get to the screw which secures the moving part of the mirror. Problem then is replacing the mirror & keeping it watertight when done. Also, the mirror is heated, so when you smash the glass you break the heating pad.

You don't say where you are but if in Auckland, contact Bunce Motor Co in Wairau Park (North Shore). They buy Blazers (& wrecks from insurance companies) for the used parts market. They may have some in stock - cost around 200 bucks each. They do now, I think, have some US ones in stock or can get. They usually get a container of parts from LA every week so stock is not too far away.

I've tried through a Japanese friend, to find parts in Japan but no luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
99 BlazerNZ is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Kiwi Blazer

Thanks kiwi blazer for the info well recieved, I am in BOP and purchased this unit online from a guy in Waitakeres. Other than a saggy bum as the leaves have gone flat, cant fault it at this stage.New shocks alround and a spring reset in the next week or so will have it sorted.keep in touch Thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Great to be of help. That's what this forum is all about. Been here going on 3 years now. Great information & great people. I've grown to "love" them all. They're my LHD family! LOL

By the way, our Blazers are better than theirs! Our steering wheel is on the right side, we've got fender flares! aAnd 4 bulb tail lights

These guys are GREEN with envy! Just don't mention this out loud - they'll get upset!