2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Reese hitch installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
Bowers is on a distinguished road
Default Reese hitch installation

I just happend to come upon a reese hitch or something similiar to it at a junk yard today. It was labled s10-blazer so i bought it, i tried holding it up to what looked like the bolts for it. Problem is the bumper was in the way. Will i have to remove the bumper to attach it or is there a trick, i looked up on the internet and found different types of hitches for a 96 blazer and they bolted up different. I got pics of mine hopeing that it will help give a general idea of what im working with. Thanks

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It gets stranger. You will have different mounting points from model year to model year. IOW, a hitch for a '95 may not fit a '98.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member

I just got it on, it was an extremly tight fit, which i guess is a good thing, i had to loosen the bumper to the point where it almost fell off push and push in the bolts. On my drivers side, the mount went to the left of the frame and bumper, but on the passengers it fit between the bumper and the frame mounts, I had to hammer it a little to get it to get a flush fit. My bumper sits a little off center to the left now, but it aint noticeable but only to me. The only problems is, I have to go and buy 6 more bolts and screws to securly fasten it to the point ill trust it under heavy load, and also while i was moving my bumper back and forth to align the holes, i scratched off alot of paint on the plastic sides of the body panels tht are near the steel part of the bumper. I may touch that up later, but i think i will fabricate or cut some plastic to fit in between the bumper and fender, just an idea though.

Here is some pics of it.

http://img692.imageshack.us/i/hitchpic.jpg/

http://img718.imageshack.us/i/hitchleft.jpg/

http://img217.imageshack.us/i/hitchright.jpg/

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/hitchscratch.jpg/

Last edited by Bowers; 03-29-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM
steelrfn is an unknown quantity at this point

Great score! I found one in a junkyard that bolted right up to my red 2000, and search every time I go to try and find one for my tan one.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member

I decided to take it back off and remount it properly. Im going to take it to my machine shop and welding class and fabricate another bracket for the bumper to securely fit it properly and be centerd and also sand blast the hitch and repaint it.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

I asked our schools welding instructor if they could alter the bumper bracket to fit snugly over the Reese hitch. He just looked at me and asked if the bumper bracket had slots where it could be adjusted over. Needless to say it did, i just loosened the bracket, moved it over about an inch placed it over the Reese hitch and bolts on both sides. i spaced every thing evenly and tightened the bolts down that hold the Reese and bumper in place then tightened the brackets in place and every thing looks clean and straight now. It was fairly simple once i figured out what to do.