2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing the fuel injector spider assembly (simple qustions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM
ChevOeat is an unknown quantity at this point

so i replaced the entire spider injection assembly i guess i took a gamble, the truck is still missing like before nothing has changed what so ever. on the plus side i cleaned my dirty intake and convert from the older style to the newer style spider assembly... which i thought i already had a newer style since my trucks is a 1997 so im not sure what the deal was there?

So now what? Whats next? im still baffled as to how the truck ran great parked turned the key and the truck was missing no indication what so ever that there was a problem... timing chain jumped a tooth? im almost out of logical ideas.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the fuel injector spider assembly (simple qustions)-before.jpg   Replacing the fuel injector spider assembly (simple qustions)-after.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The updated injector assembly was not used on 2000 4.3's. It may have started in 2001, but 2002 has it for sure. Easy way to tell is by the 8th character in the VIN: "W" is the old style using 6 centrally located injectors with poppet valves at the intake ports. The "X" engine has the injectors located at the intake ports and does not use poppets, (waaaaay better set up).

To replace your injector assy, you had to remove the distributor; you probably have better odds of winning the lottery...twice, than getting camshaft retard within specs just by dropping it in See post #7 above with regards to camshaft retard & tune up parts. The main thing is get rid of the Bosch stuff and use AC Delco plugs, cap & rotor. Make sure you have the plug wires on correctly too

Old 11-19-2011, 01:09 PM
P.Martin is on a distinguished road

Hello!

...at least..did you perform a logrun ?..spark timing without spikes ?..
retarding from knock sensor..? Cam/Crank position sensor checked..?
Run a Injector balance test ( VCM Suite), to be sure as your PCM/
Wiring works as it should....

mfg Martin

Old 11-19-2011, 01:15 PM
ChevOeat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The updated injector assembly was not used on 2000 4.3's. It may have started in 2001, but 2002 has it for sure. Easy way to tell is by the 8th character in the VIN: "W" is the old style using 6 centrally located injectors with poppet valves at the intake ports. The "X" engine has the injectors located at the intake ports and does not use poppets, (waaaaay better set up).
Ah, someone told me different but that clears things up! thanks man!

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
To replace your injector assy, you had to remove the distributor;
I never removed the disturber to replace the injector assembly just removed the cap and wires... I had ample room to remove the fuel lines.

Originally Posted by P.Martin
Hello!

...at least..did you perform a logrun ?..spark timing without spikes ?..
retarding from knock sensor..? Cam/Crank position sensor checked..?
Run a Injector balance test ( VCM Suite), to be sure as your PCM/
Wiring works as it should....

mfg Martin
Not sure how to do all that. All i have is a basic scan tool i wish i had a tech 2...
Can you explain how to do what you said above?

anyone else?

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-19-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post and use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
P.Martin is on a distinguished road

Hello!

What i mean was, a run with a scansuite like hpt/efi would have an defektive Injector discarded..
P300 was an #1 DTC, MIL on second Error (set,if fault active for 2 Driving Cycles ), so its difficult to force...
Manuals pinout for a broad Source set this DTC..electrical..mostly checked or crossed out from you..
and Mechanical..from worn out Balancers to loose Converters or noisy Bearings..
The Valvetrain also ...bent pushrods or stuck rollers from lifter rounds up cam..or chainstretch trough a high Miles/ Rev condition..
..inspect Valve lift and action during crank over ..
or simple as an Ground Strap..also Doublecheck Connectors Wires and Grounds too...
Good Luck to get it ..

mfg Martin

mfg Martin