2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

replacing headlight on 2004 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Starting Member
dsullivan3684 is on a distinguished road
Default replacing headlight on 2004 blazer

I am trying to figure out how to replace the low beam headlight on a 2004 blazer. I have tried to remove the bolts on top as well as the 3 retainer clips but to no avail.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Two plastic pull tabs and the whole head light assembly tips out. Couldn't be easier.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Starting Member
dsullivan3684 is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 Blazer

This is a 2004 blazer not a 1974 model. Those dont exist on the new model.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Oh MY... I didn't even realize... Or... Did I...? Please look before you speak and especially before making such a bold statement such as "they don't exist". Don't just assume that because I drive a '74 K5 that the information I have given you is any less factual. Looks/perceptions can be deceiving...

I guess I should have included that you have to pop your hood.. Find your battery (I believe even a 2004 has one of those and its even located on the passenger side just like my '74). Look directly between the battery and the top of the radiator core support. There will be two plastic clips that you pull straight up on. Same thing on the other side between the air box and radiator core support. Check the attached image below for a little snip from your owners manual (of all places).

FYI, the headlights on my '74 are MUCH more involving when it comes to their replacement. There are actually tools required.

FYI2, I used to own a 2000 Bravada that has the exact same headlight attachment methods as the rest of its s-series brethren from 98 through the end of production. And yes, I do know that the headlights look differently, but this goes back to the last sentence of the first paragraph.

PS, I'll give you another hint on the reassembly. Make sure that the tabs on the bottom of the headlamp frame go into the slots in the radiator core support. If they do not, your headlights will be shining on the trees.

PS2, Don't let my sarcasm **** you off. I do it to everyone.

Attached Thumbnails replacing headlight on 2004 blazer-headlight_replace.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by swartlkk
HAHA, ain't that the truth.

Yeah, one thing you'll learn quick is that swartlkk is an S-Series Encyclpedia dude.

Make sure to hold onto your headlight when you pull the 2nd tab out just so it doesn't topple out. Honestly it takes me less than a minute to change a bulb on my truck. It's the easiest vehicle to pull lights out of IMO. Putting those tabs back in place is a real pain though (especially with wiring from HIDs in the way.)

Good luck... if you have any problems you know where to come.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

hahaha I just burst out laughing reading Kyle's post. I love it when people don't take advice and just shoot it down right away, especially to someone as knowledgeable as Kyle. You don't have to remove any bolts to take the headlights out. After pulling these tabs the headlights pop right out.

In case you still don't believe us...here is a pic under the hood of MY blazer. Yes, I know...it's a 01, but it's the exact same style/build as an 04. I even circled those tabs we speak about in red for you...so you can't miss them.

Last edited by Sisk; 03-11-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
bizutch is on a distinguished road

Anyone point me how to do it for a 97 S-10 Blazer? It's definitely not the pic above.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
Xanth is on a distinguished road

Only Difference i think is that he has a CAI and you have the factory air box. I found the Tabs on my 97 just fine

Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Oh MY... I didn't even realize... Or... Did I...? Please look before you speak and especially before making such a bold statement such as "they don't exist". Don't just assume that because I drive a '74 K5 that the information I have given you is any less factual. Looks/perceptions can be deceiving...

I guess I should have included that you have to pop your hood.. Find your battery (I believe even a 2004 has one of those and its even located on the passenger side just like my '74). Look directly between the battery and the top of the radiator core support. There will be two plastic clips that you pull straight up on. Same thing on the other side between the air box and radiator core support. Check the attached image below for a little snip from your owners manual (of all places).

FYI, the headlights on my '74 are MUCH more involving when it comes to their replacement. There are actually tools required.

FYI2, I used to own a 2000 Bravada that has the exact same headlight attachment methods as the rest of its s-series brethren from 98 through the end of production. And yes, I do know that the headlights look differently, but this goes back to the last sentence of the first paragraph.

PS, I'll give you another hint on the reassembly. Make sure that the tabs on the bottom of the headlamp frame go into the slots in the radiator core support. If they do not, your headlights will be shining on the trees.

wow i think this is the most sarcasm ive seen outta kyle yet rofl.