2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Cris72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reverse Lights

I'm having an issue with my reverse lights and I just noticed it. When I shift into reverse my back up lights will not turn on. Brake lights come on bright as ever but I notice the white reverse lights are not coming on.

Now I keep reading that the neutral switch is what controls the reverse lights. I have also read its on the right side of the transmission. How the heck do I get to it. Do I have to crawl under to get to it...but I also read if I remove the center console I can get to it through there also. Is there a floor panel or once I remove the center console will it just be exposed?

I have checked all the fuses and they seem to be good. I am in the process of checking the bulbs. But I am sure its not the bulbs...will the lights stop working if one bulb goes out. Because both reverse lights will not come on. Seems like a lot of questiong but I dont want to start tinkering without getting some solid advice.

I have a 2 door, 99 Blazer LS, 4x4, Auto Tran, with a V6 Vortex engine (2000-engine changed), but the transmission was not changed. So can anyone let me know what steps I should take. Let me know what I should do if the bulbs are good......obviously if the bulbs are not good I will change them.....

Old 12-10-2008, 03:41 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Reverse Lights

if its not the fuses, and not the bulbs, then if its not that i would take a volt meter and see if your getting power to the socket, then if that doesnt work it might be a shotage in the wiring, then you could check the switch or whatever that is
but i have no idea how to get to it
hope i helped
-steven

Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 PM

ok........I wil try that and see where that takes me. Thanks.....will repost if that doesnt work.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:37 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have an auto trans, you don't have a seperate b/u lamp switch. The park neutral position switch is what supplies power to your b/u lamps when in reverse. The P/N switch is on the left side of your transmission, it has 2 connectors going into the back of it, and the transmission shift shaft goes through the center of it. There are no panels to remove to access it. You should check the B/U lamp fuse first, and see if it is blown. If it isn't blown use a test light with the key on and trans in reverse, see if you have power on the fuse. post back when you have done this please.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:04 PM

Hey hey hey..............I want to thank you guys for all the suggestions and all the help. I actually took some time in this cold weather and popped open the fuse box in the engine compartment. After pulling on the darn fuse for awhile It came off and as you guys said....the fuse was blown. I replaced the thing and shifted that bad boy into reverse and the back up lights came on.

I was really dreading to have to mess with any other switch unless i really had to. But that did the trick. But hey any Idea what would cause that particular fuse to pop? Anyhow thanks for the help and the lights are working now.

TTYL..............and thanks once again.