2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Shifter replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Black n Chrome is on a distinguished road
Question Shifter replacement?

Hey all, just bought an '03 2 door Blazer that had the shifter button broken off. Shifter still works, just uncomfortable to press your thumb into the spring to get it to release out of park.

I bought a replacement off Ebay (shifter w/button & leather boot), but now I can't figure out how to get the shifter off the metal rod it is connected to. I can get the leather boot off (2 plastic clips have to be pulled off), but can't figure out how to get the rest of the assembly off. I figured it would just unscrew or something...Don't want to make this a bigger problem than it is now. I have the Haynes manual, but can't find anything about replacing/ removing the shifter...

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Love this forum BTW, I already figured out how to fix the loose driver's side door (pins & bushings). Great place to learn!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check the front of the shifter down low. There should be a little U shaped clip that goes in and holds the handle onto the shift lever.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Black n Chrome is on a distinguished road

Thanks, man. That's what I was missing. The U-clip was pushed so far into the leather on the shifter I couldn't see it. New shifter's on, feels alot better. Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Beginning Member
Kemp is on a distinguished road

just another heads up. I bought my blazer with a broken shifter. like broken right off. went to the wreckers, and it bolted on with 2-3 bolts. paid 15 buck for the whole deal..so, jimmys and blazers are all over the place, and if anyone need a simple part, check out the bone yard first....

Old 01-23-2010, 01:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kemp
just another heads up. I bought my blazer with a broken shifter. like broken right off. went to the wreckers, and it bolted on with 2-3 bolts. paid 15 buck for the whole deal..so, jimmys and blazers are all over the place, and if anyone need a simple part, check out the bone yard first....

not true. there are a lot of memebers on here that'll tell ya there just as hard to find.

i've been hitting the wreckers for 20 years now, and in the last 3 to 5 years, the availability of GM trucks ("S" series SUV's, full size p/u's & vans) has dwindled greatly. and i'm not just talking about the one or two local yards, i'm refering to most of Southern Ontario.

glad to see you got it fixed B'nC.