2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sticky brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sticky brake

Here goes:

Every once in a while (mostly on longer trips) my passenger rear brake will stick after making a turn (normally right turn). I can hear a sound which is exactly like when you press the brake pedal just enough to prevent movement and you ease off very slowly. You can just tell that it's pad against rotor.

My thought was with the exhaust pipe right there, it may be heating something up and causing expansion which in turn is where it's coming from.

Just curious if anyone else had this happen or if there are any suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 PM
jcheil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sticky brake

Same thing was happening to mine. I replaced the wheel cylinder ($6),all of the brake springs ($3)and a can of brake parts cleaner ($2) and it stopped sticking.

I have also heard that (if you have the) short rubber hoses to each wheel, they can collapse on the inside (you won't see it on the outside) and when you let off the brake it will keep the pistons engaged for a short time. Replacing that short hose would be the second guess.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

^^ Good ideas. Another possibility would be that the park brake cable is adjusted to tight.
The problem is determining if the problem is mechanical or hydraulic.

Also a good idea would be to ensure that the caliper mounting pins are lubed and sliding free.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Betweent eh above two posts you should have it fixed in no time. Good job guys.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 PM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point

IfALLhydrolic,I suggest replace the brake line hose/s, cause if it collapses then would prolly stick more after a turn ... by twisting of the hose , but that would cause front caliper to hang im sure not a back brake .

Old 01-04-2008, 06:54 PM

Alright, I ignored it for a week, but it did it again today so I'm definitely going to tear into it tomorrow morning.

After about a 45-minute ride (4o or so miles) the broblem brake (passenger rear) was hot and the driver rear was luke warm. So, I reached in around the tire as best I could to see if there was any heat emanating from anywhere around the caliper which there wasn't especially with it being 20 degrees Fahrenheit here.

Anyways, just thought I'd give an update and I'll check back in tomorrow after a closer look. Any last-minute additions?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Nope nothing new, just check the park brake cable. It can be adjusted to tight or it may be sticking and not return properly.
If you apply the park brake with the rear wheels jacked up and the trans in "N", then release the park brake and try to spin the wheels. If the r rear is still tight try pushing back on the brake actuator at the end of the cable on the inner side of the rear backing plate, then try to spin the wheel again.
Let us know what you find.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem w/ mine. it ended up being my sliders had locked up on the caliper and i broke them trying to get them to move and had to get another caliper

Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

Nope nothing new, just check the park brake cable. It can be adjusted to tight or it may be sticking and not return properly.
If you apply the park brake with the rear wheels jacked up and the trans in "N", then release the park brake and try to spin the wheels. If the r rear is still tight try pushing back on the brake actuator at the end of the cable on the inner side of the rear backing plate, then try to spin the wheel again.
Let us know what you find.
You nailed it! Took the rear wheels off and it was obvious that the Parking brake cable was much tighter on the right side. The cable was twisted so hard that the end of it was pulling the actuator if weight got shifted onto it. Anyways, I made some adjustments and we'll see how it pans out.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 PM

So far, So good! I just got back from a 90 mile trip and neither rearbrake is hot. Excellent....I believe the right one is even cooler than the left. Maybe I'll have to do that one tomorrow.

Thanks again