2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sudden electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
polartx is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Sudden electrical issues

You guys have been super helpful in the past and hoping you can point me in the right direction.

No issues prior, one day I pull up to my house and open my door and notice the dome light isn't on. I put the key in the ignition and get nothing. Its almost as though the negative ground is disconnected because nothing has power.

I pop the good and look at the battery (terminals on the side, never worked with a battery like this before). Things seem to be connected but I move the cables around a bit and notice a subtle bzzz sound like current connecting. I check the car and I have battery power again.

Next day I start the car and its a very rough idle, if I give it gas it chokes and dies. Move the cables around a bit more, still terminals seem connected. Engine starts fine and have been able to drive for a couple of days like normal, except: When I turn off the headlights the radio turns off

Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First... What is it you're driving? There were several changes from 95 to the end of production when it comes to the radio & associated wiring. The year of your vehicle is the least of the information necessary to properly help you with your problem.

Second... Is it the stock or aftermarket radio? From the sounds of it, the illumination circuit is feeding into the switched 12V circuit for the radio.

The first thing I would do is disconnect your battery connections, cleaning them up really good, then reconnecting them, making sure to get them tight. There should be no movement with moderate force on the cables.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
polartx is on a distinguished road

Sorry I forgot some info: Its a 95 S10 Blazer LS, It does have an aftermarket radio.

Great suggestions sqartlkk, I'll try that out!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely clean & tighten the battery connections first.

How long has the stereo been acting up?