2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Suddenly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjnemoiii
The fuel filter is underneath your vehicle, mounted to the frame rail on the driver side, between the gas tank and the engine compartment.
thanks, will take a look.

what else to check in terms of fuel pressure? unfortunately I'm missing a lot of my tools these days.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 AM
LeftBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Maybe try this...

I had a similar situation today.... I could hear the fuel pump prime, so I thought fuel filter, turned out to be the distributer. The starter would crank but it wouldn't catch and turn over. My uncle the mechanic, says take a hair dryer and heat up the distributer for 10 minutes or so and see if it starts then... Started right up.. So I swapped the distributer and its back to somewhat normal... On these particular series, the cap is known to collect moisture and that moisture will cause it not to start... Just a thought to try, before you spend money on a fuel filter, most times a fuel filter will not plug enough to cause a car not to get fuel, if it's not getting fuel it maybe the pump being weak or dead, and sometimes the pump will still make the noise and be dead... That's what I learned today...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LeftBlazer
I had a similar situation today.... I could hear the fuel pump prime, so I thought fuel filter, turned out to be the distributer. The starter would crank but it wouldn't catch and turn over. My uncle the mechanic, says take a hair dryer and heat up the distributer for 10 minutes or so and see if it starts then... Started right up.. So I swapped the distributer and its back to somewhat normal... On these particular series, the cap is known to collect moisture and that moisture will cause it not to start... Just a thought to try, before you spend money on a fuel filter, most times a fuel filter will not plug enough to cause a car not to get fuel, if it's not getting fuel it maybe the pump being weak or dead, and sometimes the pump will still make the noise and be dead... That's what I learned today...
Distributor, really? It has been wet and snowy here, and it did given driven in muck the day before it decided to just stop running ... too bad I don't have a hair dryer ... thanks though, I'll keep that in mind. Maybe the drier weather will fix it for me for the moment.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abadinalbany
thanks, will take a look.

what else to check in terms of fuel pressure? unfortunately I'm missing a lot of my tools these days.
This might help:
2nd Gen Fuel System Diagnosis

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Starting Member

OK, so it started today. Didn't try it yesterday, (Monday) did try it Sunday with no luck.

Have it running now, thinking if there's a moisture issue, heat may drive it out? Supposed to be fairly dry here the rest of the week.

At this point I'm assuming the next thing I should do is have the SES code read, right? Even if it's most likely to be the same AIR and/or EVAP codes I was seeing previously?

Unfortunately my local trusty mechanic doesn't do smoke tests on the EVAP side ... not sure who the next closest place I'd take it to would be that CAN do smoke tests ...

Any other thoughts or input? Thanks for everything so far guys.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Starting Member

The SES light went off again when it started up ... so at this point, what measures should I be taking?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
jjnemoiii is on a distinguished road

My opinion, just that, I'm not a mechanic - It runs good, and the SES light is not on - Enjoy your great Blazer.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
cb_murray is an unknown quantity at this point

My 96 has the same problem this morning. I am so tired of this stupid vehicle.. it has broken my bank at 190k miles. I too can hear my pump priming, (replaced last month), but no start. I dont believe that a fuel filter will take a vehicle from running great to no start in 12 hours. Any other ideas?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

abadinalbany, how has it been running? Any continuing problems?

cb_murray, you may want to create your own thread on your problems as to not take someone else's problem thread off in a different direction.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Beginning Member
leeroy74 is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem two years ago! Was working fine and the next day would not start... cranked over fine but did not turn over. Waited half a day and tried it again with no success. Got it towed to a shop and they said my spider assembly was bad and not getting fuel to the cylinders. 1,100 bucks plus 150 for towing later and I bent over and took it! Not sure if they robbed me or raped me! Hope this helps