2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ticker is driving me NUTS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Angela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ticker is driving me NUTS!!!!

Hello all...

Quick question...on New years eve i was driving a friend to the liquor store when i heard the sound of my signal light going...but i wasn't turning. It stopped right away...so fast i thought maybe i'd imagined it or my keychain was rattling funny. But now...its back and its driving me batty! Tick tick tick tick tick...it seems to stop when I apply the breaks and it also seems to be worse after the vehicle has warmed up...but it still comes and goes.I have heard 2 things...either my signal arm is shorting out or its a feature to tell me that i'm needing to replace a fuse. My brother had the same problem and found the arm was shorting out and the copper wire in there over time chips off and creates an arc so that the truck 'thinks' its turning but isnt. He said it was VERY expensive to fix b/c everything is on that signal arm...wipers, cruise, high beams, etc. Another friend said that happend with her neon when the fuse was going. I know that a neon and a jimmy are not even close to the same but still...sorta hoping itd be a quick fix. I can't find anythign in my manual about fuses and if there is any sort of indicator. Any one have any ideas? If i listen to this much longer, i'm gonna lose my mind and take it out Jimmy! Lol...please help!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Ticker is driving me NUTS!!!!

Common problem. If you mess with your hazard switch, does it go away? If it does, then you likely only have to replace the hazard switch which is easy and not too expensive. GM has the switch available separately from the multifunction switch assembly, regardless of what your parts counter guy will tell you. If the switch does not fix it, then the whole multifunction switch will need to be replaced.

Replace hazard switch

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Angela is an unknown quantity at this point

I have yet to play with the hazard switch b/c that is simply a button on the top of my steering colum as opposed to the side signal arm so i didn't think that the 2 would be related. I will definitely check it out later to see what happens. If the hazard switch was malfunctioning, that could cause the signal sound to come on? I guess they are all wound up together in one way or another in there huh? Thanks for the advice. I'll try that after work and see if it does anything. Keeping my fingers crossed for a cheap fix!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The brake lights and turn signals are one in the same bulb/filament. The multifunction switch routes all brake/turn functions through the hazard switch itself.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same thing happen with mine...and the hazard switch unfortunately didn't make a difference so i replaced the whole multifunction switch. It's an expensive part to buy new...I decided to buy one from a wrecker for 50$ and did the work myself...not that hard once you get into it. My advice is dont' take it to a dealer or shop...find someone and give them a case of beer if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself... it's not that difficult but it's time consuming.