2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Torsion bar trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member
rockrodent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Torsion bar trouble?

I have a t-bar question that shockingly ISN'T about lifting!
I noticed that my Jimmy was riding particularly rough, so I took a look under the vehicle and where the torsion bar connects to the frame around the middle of the truck, there's a bolt that's turned almost all the way out on the driver's side. On the passenger's side, the corresponding bolt is turned almost all the way in. Now, as far as I know, these are the bolt used in T-bar cranking to adjust the front ride height, but the front seems level. From just pushing down on the truck, the driver's side seems noticably softer than the passenger side. (or it's my own paranoia) Could this cause a rough ride? And if so, which of these bolts would be causing the problem? (i.e., do I loosen one, or tighten the other?) Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member
Hiddenfarce is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a pickle.
Question 1 - are you the original owner?
Question 2 - have you had suspension work done before?
Question 3 - do you have uneven tire wear?
Question 4 - do you routinely get alignments?

Typically t-bars are adjusted at the factory to align the truck's front suspension. There is a formula for zeroing the t-bars out, but it is kinda involved. T-bars change the ride height, but they also drastically alter the angles and stresses of the suspension. Miss adjusted t-bars do cause abnormal wear on suspension parts because all these parts work in harmony together. They may cause the rough mainly by stressing the shock in conjunction with the other parts by forced to extend further than the other side. I would get the torsion bar setting checked to make sure they are adjusted properly and then looking to getting the other suspension parts checked like control arm bushings, the shock, ball joints, and even the wheel hub. Basically the t-bar could be the ultimate cause but not the source of the rough ride. If you do adjust the t-bars then you have to get an alignment. This link has some great info about t-bar cranking. http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=5207 It's for Zr2s but the concept and method is similar. You might have to dig a bit and get past the lift stuff to find the stock info, but these guys have pretty much beat this topic to death.

Last edited by Hiddenfarce; 05-24-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: A really massive indian rug burn.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could be experiencing a bent lower control arm which has been compensated for or it could just be a weak torsion bar.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

If the passenger side lower control arm is not damaged and the truck sits level side to side then I would just leave it alone.