2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member
whoareyou4 is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny question

This is quite long so I aplologize, I am a first time poster this is my issue,I have 98 s10 Blazer LT 4x4 and I am having tranny issues with a harsh 1 to 2 upshift and I know it has to do with the TCC solenoid. I think that is the correct wording.
This begin to happen 2-1/2 years ago. I had a shop do some work on the valve body, they replace the TCC and bored it out I guess, it did not really work. i figured I was do for a rebuild so I parked the car for over two years.
I just did not have the funds then, my wife was unemployed
I got it going again this spring and discovered that the radiator was leaking.
3 years ago I replaced the intake manifold gasket, my wife overheated the engine, I put Dexcool back in, what I did not realize at the time was the dexcool had plugged the radiator, so the rad was not cooling very well and I beleive it may have had something to do with my tranny failure. I should have realized this then when one of the passages in the block under the manifold was filled up with coagullated Dexcool particles.
Anyway this spring I replaced the radiator, did a complete flush and put the green stuff in instead. The Blazer ran fine for 3 months, now I am 150 miles from home and the tranny is acting up again. So I am looking at either getting it rebuilt or replace it with a used one. The car only has 112k so I'm not nearly ready to get rid of it.
Will do alot more harm driving this thing home or is it better to leave it and get a tow dolley and bring it home that way?
Would you go for a used tranny or get the one rebuilt? That's kind of the question I have, you just never go what you will get with a used one even if you buy one with supposedly low mileage. This has been a great vehicle
in spite of some of the issue's I have had to deal with.
Any input is appreciated, thanks

Don