2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Unsuccessful hotwire; why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 08:03 AM
Chewedonbycows is on a distinguished road
Default Unsuccessful hotwire; why?

A little backstory: recently had ignition cylinder replaced due to lost keys, pretty sure the dumb kid that did the job broke a bunch of **** in the column. Didn't disassemble anything, scraped everything up, had no idea what he was doing. To remove the cylinder without key he just cracked it into on position with vise grips. It was very stiff to get it to turn but I ignorantly chalked that up to being new.

The new one lasted two weeks and then took a **** at a fuel station yesterday. The key would only go into acc or off positions. I have removed the ignition module wheel thing that the lock clyinder turns and am able to get the truck to fire up but it instantly dies. Not sure if because the fuel pump is not turning on? Sounds like it does. I did the same thing the dumb kid did and just wrenched the cylinder into on position using vise grips. Still, a start but no run condition. The new lock cylinder just slides right out of the hole now too, and I can feel broken pieces inside the hole it sits in on the column.

Anybody got an idea of why I can't hotwire my rig? How ****ed am I here?

Old 07-09-2023, 09:24 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Assuming is 2008 or newer - the Passlock (theft deterrent) sensor is screwed up and thinks someone is trying to steal the vehicle - so the PCM kills the engine after starting by turning off the fuel injectors. Need lock cyl housing to get a new Passlock sensor. Then you have to teach the BCM the new passlock sensor code. There are some "Bypass the passlock sensor" instructions all over the internet but you may find them to be unreliable. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2023, 09:30 AM
Chewedonbycows is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Assuming is 2008 or newer - the Passlock (theft deterrent) sensor is screwed up and thinks someone is trying to steal the vehicle - so the PCM kills the engine after starting by turning off the fuel injectors. Need lock cyl housing to get a new Passlock sensor. Then you have to teach the BCM the new passlock sensor code. There are some "Bypass the passlock sensor" instructions all over the internet but you may find them to be unreliable. Good luck!

​​​​​​It's an 04, forgot that part. I have seen the passlock bypass stuff you're talking about since posting this, definitely seems like some ****ery. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:43 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

The BCM needs to see the correct resistor value at start up in the passlock circuit. The right way to fix it is what Les said and replace the OEM parts (ignition switch assembly and passlock module behind it) and do the relearn. You can hack in a resistor and do the relearn but then the theft deterrent system is bypassed which you may not care about if your starting the truck with a pair of vice grips.

George

Old 07-09-2023, 09:45 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chewedonbycows
​​​​​​It's an 04, forgot that part. I have seen the passlock bypass stuff you're talking about since posting this, definitely seems like some ****ery. Thanks.
Sorry! I meant to say 1998+. A brain fart on my part.