2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vibrating, Revolving noise, & Axel Nut

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member
zackoch is on a distinguished road
Default Vibrating, Revolving noise, & Axel Nut

First question, Does anyone know anywhere I can go to get an axel nut loosened (for cheap)? I'm hard on cash right now because of college so I can't afford a impact. I have broke two good breaker bars (and several socket wrenches...) trying to get my passenger side axel nut off. I got the Drivers one off when I was replacing the Hub Assembly and it was prob the hardest bolt i have ever attempted to remove. I was practically lifting the corner of the vehicle up before it came loose.

Secondly all this is because of this vibrating revolving noise, it actually sounds like really really load road noise if you know what i mean. but there is a sort of revolving sound to it. Imagine the a's being the steady sound and the b's being the revolving noise on top of the loud road noise:

aaaaaaabbbbaaaaaaabbbbaaaaaaabbbbaaaaaaabbbbaaaaaa a

I replaced the driver hub assembly ( I could have sworn it came from this side, but after getting someone to drive my car while i sat in the pass seat i figured it could only be the passenger side)

Does anyone have any input? am I lucky and it is the wheen bearing? I have a used one that I have ready to put in if I could get that dang axel nut off. I recently had my rear passenger carrier bearing replaced so I def know the difference between the front and the back sound wise

**edit** I shot that axel nut with pb, wd-40, jb, and I even torched it for a small bit of time because i was kind of hesitant to use heat. someone said it could be torqued to 300lbs? I was practically jumping on that breaker bar...

Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need to get a better breaker bar... It is torqued down pretty good, but you should not be breaking breaker bars in the process of removal. I have not met a single axle nut I have not been able to remove with a breaker bar and a pipe. They key is smooth and steady. Fast movement is a sure way to break things.

What are you using for heat? A propane torch? If so, do not bother trying with something like that.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Just take the axle nut socket and go down to any tire shop and ask them to loosen the nut with their impact.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

wow that's one strong nut for breaking "breaker bars" you might need an impact but a good breaker bar should work

Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Beginning Member

I have no Idea, it was only a 1/2 inch from harbor freight, if you guys know what that place is... but anyway so by what I'm describing do you guys think it could actually be the wheel bearing? I tried all the ways to tell.... shake the heck outta the wheel, I've spun it in the air, sound doesn't change a whole lot when turning (thats what's got me worried its something else)....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

I too, broke a cheap breaker bar doing this!! (Chuck Homier tool sales)

Went and bought a Craftsman. Yeah, it's not a Snap-on, but at least it has a lifetime warranty!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 AM
Beginning Member
Exclamation What an event filled night. Sighs....

Yeah, i thought since it was 45 degrees today I would have another go at it... Every shop was a no go... same 'ol story "we don't want to do part of a job, plus liabilities... I tried to explain that there are three other damn bolts holding the thing on.... but noooooo so today i tried everything & just about killed my back, tried driving it off... using the breakerbar against the ground (not a good idea, I do not suggest ever doing this as its dangerous, and could wreck your vehicle) wouldnt go. tried using a jack to jack the bar up.. finally i just hit it with a torch for a good 15 minutes, and jumped on it.and it came loose... then i got a socket wrench wedged into the mess and i broke it so it would only loosen the bolt. I needed to tighten it back up a bit so that it would have enough room to get the socket wrench and socket apart, or out. finally i stripped out the socket and drilled holes in the side of the socket and used a nail to turn the socket to get the bolt a bit in and then pulled the lot of it out. What a crazy night. The good part is I got everything in. My buddy i think screwed with the abs sensor so now my light is on. (Pulls hair out) The bad part is it only helped the sound a bit. I noticed my cv must be leaking grease. a lot of grease. so my new question is:

What are my options? I don't know much about cars but I can figure almost anything out if you give me the part Do I buy a new axel? Is there a way to grease her back up? it seems to be leaking just out the edge... ill take another look later.

Thanks in advance, you guys rock!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on where it is leaking from... If it is leaking from one of the ends of the boot, you may be able to just install a new clamp which is made specifically for a CV joint. If the boot is torn, then you could try installing a new boot (single piece boot ONLY).

Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Beginning Member

I've been looking at pictures of the Axel and from what it looks like, there is not a clamp or anything around that boot on mine, like i saw in the pictures. It looks like its just rammed up against the Solid metal housing. It's like its magically attached or something. I'll take a picture here soon and post it.