2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Water swishing in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM
big block bob is on a distinguished road
Default Water swishing in rear?

I have a 98 Blazer that I purchased in the summer.
It has been raining lately and now when I turn a corner hard at lower speeds I hear water swishing left to right or vis versa in the back depending which way I turn. I have looked and can't find anything, not even wet carpets? The rear windows do fog up though.
My friends dad had the same thing with his Blazer. Is this common and is there somewhere I should be looking?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did you check in tailgate? i know kinda obvious, but if you dont lift whole thing often and only the glass. did you pull any trim panels??
i dont think its common (hope not) never had this issue in mine.
have someone ride in cargo area...while in parking lot...NOT OPEN ROAD...to help pin point it.

thats all i can think of.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the same issue. Although I have yet to try and pinpoint the issue or exactly where the sound is coming from, I am fairly certain water collects inside the tailgate for some reason.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

if it is the tailgate check the gasket around the glass portion of the gate for damage.
could be fixed with some silicon and saran wrap.

***edit***
should explain.

find damaged area....apply silicon (clear) and then apply saran wrap over the silicon.
close the glass portion of hatch and let cure.
when cured remove saran wrap carefully and taa daa.
redneck window gasket patch

Last edited by warthogdriver; 11-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Have you got the "drop down" tailgate? If you have check that the rear washer hose hasn't become disconnected below the trim at the back of the load compartment. I had this happen with mine & it filled up the entire space where the washer hose & wiring comes up to the tailgate through the rubber conduit & overflowed under the carpet. Carpet felt pretty dry on top but was very wet underneath. I reconnected the hose with some small clips, removed the carpet & dried out the area. Have had no problems since.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:43 PM

I have checked the tailgate and it is dry (not the drop down style).
I sounds like the water is running from one side of the truck to the other somewhere at the back? I guess I will have someone go in the back and drive around a parking lot to listen.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 AM
Beginning Member
not_only is on a distinguished road

Had the same issue last year. You have to take a look under your car at the rear end. The truss of the tailgate has two rubber plugs at the left and the right end. Pull them out carefully (otherwise you´ll get a free shower). Let the water come out and clean the plugs ( they work like a valve). Insert the plugs when truss ist dry. Reason for water comming in (in my case) was a crack in the tailgate seal, which i could fix with silicone. Hope this helps.

Greetings from Europe, Axel

Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A quick search for "water+noise+rear" came up with this:
Water noise

Old 11-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by not_only
Had the same issue last year. You have to take a look under your car at the rear end. The truss of the tailgate has two rubber plugs at the left and the right end. Pull them out carefully (otherwise you´ll get a free shower). Let the water come out and clean the plugs ( they work like a valve). Insert the plugs when truss ist dry. Reason for water comming in (in my case) was a crack in the tailgate seal, which i could fix with silicone. Hope this helps.

Greetings from Europe, Axel
Thanks for the tip Axel, that is what it was. Removed one plug by the tailpipe and lots of water came out. Now I need to find out where it is comming in? Thanks

Old 11-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Those plugs don't seal up tight. Just tight enough to keep water up in there. If you submerge the truck or do a lot of car washes with high pressure undercarriage wash, it can force water past the plugs.