2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Starting Member
Numba1Sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weird problem

i think this is the right spot for this. ok well besides my hid's consistantly giving me problems. my problem is i turned on my headlights tonight and my radio went static on me, so i thought it was because the hid's were drawing off the battery, 20 minutes later still the same result. when i flick on my high beams with the silverstars in them i instantly had clear radio again any ideas on that one?? just bought replacement 6000k bulbs and one has a halogen look to it and the other white as could be. not sure what it could be cuz they get bright quick so i thought the draw would go away but it remained i guess and the radio stayed with static.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Possible that you may have a bad ballast. If one lowbeam appears to look like a regular light, then it may be not getting the voltage needed to work right. The bad ballast is interfering with your radio.

Disconnect power to the suspected ballast while the lights are on, if the radio comes back on, well, you found your culprit.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Starting Member

yea i will have to do that tonight. i will post back with results.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Starting Member

hmm i unplugged the one i thought was bad and the radio still had the fuzz/static. because the other side works fine. i dont get it.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Unplug both of them at the same time. If that doesn't remedy it, then something else is causing it. I figured that your possible bad ballast would be causing RF interference to your radio. As do MOST HV transformers which includes flourescent ballasts.

And because HID's draw LESS amperage than stock headlights, I know they wouldn't have an effect on your battery. UNLESS you have a shorted ballast.

After doing a little research on , I have found that other people, not just Blazer owners, but even Lotus type cars are experiencing the same issue. From what I have read so far, they have installed an aftermarket HID system. Some have found that if they GROUNDED the ballast chassis most of the RF hash went away. Others have found that the kit they purchased was not certified by the FCC to be noise compliant. Basically you get what you pay for.

So, again, disconnect both of the HID ballast. Not just the lights, but POWER to the ballasts, then get back to us.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Starting Member

ok i will have to diconnect both and try it. i forgot to mention i am running it through a relay harness. yea but the noise just started happening i have had these for a few months. i have not added anything new either.