General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

weird ac problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
turboxb9s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weird ac problem

Today I installed an ac compressor cause my compressor clutch was shot and I was able to find the whole compressor used and cheap. well I installed it without too much difficulty but after recharging the system with a couple cans I picked up from advanced auto the clutch still wouldn't engauge. I jumped the saftey shut off switch and the clutch does engauge but thats it. the lines definately dont get any cooler neither does what I think is the reciever dryer (big silver can thing). if anything they actually get hotter and so does the air coming out of the vents. My guess is that there must be a clog somewhere. Could someone please tell me if this is likely to be the problem and if so what component(s) might be the likely suspects. thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: weird ac problem

The first problem that I see is that you charged up a system that was filled with air. Any A/C system needs to be vacuumed down to remove as much air from the system as possible before attempting to charge it with refridgerant. Good HVAC guys will actually pump down the system, charge it up with Nitrogen (inert gas), pump it down again, and do a full charge of refridgerant.

Next thing is did you have your compressor running while you put in the cans of refridgerant? The compressor needs to be running to draw in the refridgerant.

Now if your pump seized, there very well could be a clog in the orifice tube. Also, you really need to replace the accumulator (filter/dryer) whenever the system is opened up. This is what catches any moisture or debris that could be in the system. Another thing is to add the required amount of PAG oil for the components replaced.

Personally, I would never go with a used A/C compressor considering the costs of the components that could be ruined by contamination in an unknown compressor.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 PM
turboxb9s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: weird ac problem

yea. I found that out. I did a deep vac on it and charged it up and it worked fine. I didn't go replacing all that recomended stuff as you said but its working now. if it fails again I'll deal with it then. the trucks got 160k on it and the ac isn't enough of a priority to go spending all kinds of cash on. as far as the oil goes. the compressor was used and had quite a bit of oil in it but I forgot to add the ounce or 2 it recomends. can I do that after I charged it with one of those cans from advanced through the low pressure service port?