2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weird starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I think I found the problem...

My friend's pressure gauge must be waaaay out of whack. Well it was a pretty old tester that has seen better days... I went and picked up the new tester, and tried it out. I was kinda hoping it would be the fuel pump, as the gas gauge doesn't work, and I would have to fix that anyways.

Pressure readings at initial prime : 49psi Although, 20 minutes later I checked, and it only went down to ~47psi, so that's good news I guess...

After pressure relieved to 10psi, it held that right at 10psi for 10 minutes before I disconnected the tester.

Oh well, time to order up a pump, not really bad news... At least I can kill two birds with one stone. I have another issue to deal with when I change the pump. The fuel filter nut (fuel line side compression fitting) has been completely rounded. I did some research and found that a 1995 exploder has a similar fuel rate/pressure, and it strangely enough has a bracket on it to secure to the frame. So I guess I'm gonna have to cut the lines, bubble flare the ends and put some high pressure injector hose on them to mate to the ends of the filter. It's really funny, if I took a picture of this filter minus the ends, you would have thought that it was a stock filter with a new metal bracket on it... lol

Any recommendations on where to get an ACDelco or Delphi pump at a decent price? Oh and fyi I'm in Canada so shipping here would be nice, and no I'm not going to the dealer and paying their $599.99 for a damn pump. I would rather buy a cheapo pump and an inline and take my chances... lol

Old 07-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

LOL!!! Rescued from page 15!!

Anyways an update...

Oil cooler lines - Done!
Ignition Switch - Done!
Fuel Pump/Sending unit - Done!

Finally got the pump after it was sitting in customs for 2 weeks... Why? I have no freaking idea!

Anyways, put it in, wired in new harness. New o-rings for the fuel line connections. Only hitch I hit was when I cut off the filler hose couplings, I should have checked the dealer for it. Apparently they discontinued that part?? They also want $84.99 for the vent pipe section (no not the pipe, the actual lower rubber coupling).... Heeeeeeeellllll no! lol

So I hunted around and found an industrial hose place and got my couplings for free (they claimed it as a a sample because I only needed 4" lol)

So, everything back on, checking for leaks when I poured gas in, and go to fire it up. The first turn showed 10psi - all air. Bled it off. Second turn 30 psi - lots of air with fuel tailing it. Third try 45 psi - air fuel mix. Fourth try 55 psi - still leading with bubbles but smoothed out to all fuel, bled it off. Fifth turn.... 65 psi! woot! Cranked her over, didn't even get to the second crank and she fired!!!
It holds good pressure, with the reading at 65 psi, 10 mins later showing 57 psi. Leakdown test at 10psi doesn't budge even after it had been siting for 2 hours (I forgot about it lol).

In the end, the ignition switch was a problem, but not THE problem. The fuel filter was completely clogged, which in turn weakened the crappy aftermarket pump some one put in (was not a delco or delphi pump, some chinese writing on it). New filter, new pump, working gas gauge... I'm happy now. All I need to do now is order up the hazard switch and everything will be gravy once again!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! Thanks for the follow up!