2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

what to look for in a 98 Bravada (issues)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 AM
NoTyme is on a distinguished road
Question what to look for in a 98 Bravada (issues)

Hi Guys: I am new here to this forum… I would appreciate any advice you can give me about a 1998 Barvada that I am looking at. You on this forum know a bit more than I so share with me what I should be looking for as far as the bad points or trouble points with this model. I have heard transmission or this full time 4 wheel drive system… Is this all I need to be concerned about of am I looking at something I need to stay away from…
Ok guys give me some ideas…

Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a number of threads like this in the past, but I will hit the high points. I am sure I will forget something.

Pop off the radiator cap and have a look in the radiator. If the cooling system gets neglected, the coolant may look brown and kind of muddy. Signs of neglect may also be present in the overflow tank.

Look at the front of the LIM (lower intake manifold) under the A/C compressor. This is a common leak point for the LIM gasket.

Take a look at the condition of the transmission fluid. If it is dark and/or burnt smelling, then it may be signs of neglect. This may be something that requires only a fluid change, especially if the test drive does not bring to light any shifting or other transmission concerns.

The transfer case is another item that you should inspect. I like to remove the fill plug and stick a length of solid wire or a small/thin piece of metal (like a dip stick) in to A) check the level of transfer case fluid and B) assess the health of the fluid. Also, while you are taking your test drive, make sure to turn tightly in a parking lot. Sometimes the transfer case will lock into AWD and cause the all too familiar drivetrain binding while turning in tight circles. This can sometimes be a normal "quirk" of these AWD systems as the TCCM interprets the speed signals it receives as slip and dials in some lock up in the transfer case. If it does it all of the time, there is a problem with the clutch inside the transfer case and that can be a costly repair.

Well... That is all I have time for tonight. I am sure that someone else will chime in wiht anything that I have forgotten. You can also run a search and you should find some other threads on this subject.