2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Megalodon_Al is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

I had a '96 Monte Carlo with Dex-Cool and never had a problem. I sold the car in '02 with over 160000 miles and never changed the radiator fluid. I DID have it checked yearly with my inspection. Each yearI was told it was still good and when I would check it myself the color would be fine, never brown at all. I also have it my '99 Blazer and it still looks perfect after 60000 miles and counting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6983/3ED2CBE3D8094692A31139822B587215.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6983/B9B9E0D2174E480B8B32BB5631F078EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-20-2007, 08:16 AM
MindlessCorpse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and Hiya
I recently bought a 99 Blazer LS. Have had it about a month, when (surprised look) the intake manifold started leaking coolant. Evidently it had been stopped with Bar's Stop Leak, or something similar, and when this broke loose, the leak came back. A friend suggested i try the Bar's myself to see if it would work...it didnt...so....
I started the repairs this weekend, and will be putting it back together today..
The Repairs consist of new gasket's and seals to the upper and lower intake manifold, and related seal's and o-rings
My Question here is this... Do I use Dex-Cool, or regular Coolant?
I already bought two gallons of the Dex-Cool, but havent put it in yet.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you've read through this whole thread, then you have the information on the pros/cons. It really is up to you. If you maintain the integrity of the cooling system, Dexcool will last longer than the green stuff. But while you're at it, replace the radiator cap with a Stant safety release cap as well as replace the thermostat to ensure that these components will be working correctly for a long time. Also, use only distilled water when you refill the cooling system. Once the repair is completed, put 6 quarts (1.5 gallons) of coolant into the radiator, then fill the system using distilled water. 6 quarts is roughly half the cooling system capacity. Seeing as how it is almost impossible to completely drain the system, it is just easier to flush it really well first with distilled water, then put 1/2 the capacity of coolant in.

If you want the same long life antifreeze as Dexcool, but a similar formulation as the green stuff, Prestone's Yellow Extended life coolant is the ticket. This is what I use now.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

my friend works for GM, and he said the first thing he would do if he bought a gmis flush the system and switch to the green stuff.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:33 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

With the possible exceptions of the bad head gasket on the 3400 V6, most dex-cool related issues seem to be from user error... possibly not clear enough wording in the manual about the service interval... Just like most issues with the green stuff.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

with all the fueding over orange vs green antifreeze, ive decided to go old school and switch to gold. forget dexcool, forget ethylene glycol , im going gold.
Methanol.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm way late to the game on this one, but i've had GREAT luck with Dex Cool. I hadslight coolant loss awhile back (2+ years ago now), and i added a container of Barr's Stop Leak (same stuff that comes in the system from the factory). No leaks to this day... no cooling issues, my truck only hits 210 in the hottest of weather (once this entire summer), and even then, the stock fan cools it right down.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
vagnozzi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad I saw this thread, because I'm having head gaskets and intake manifold gasket done tomorrow. Curious now if I should make the switch or not? I always top off and check my levels and have a stant cap. I'll probably stay with dexcool...anyone wanna convince me otherwise?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend Prestone's All Makes All Models extended life coolant. Same extended life as Dexcool.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:49 PM
gio17vani is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents have a 97 s-10 blazer with 110,000 miles and it's had problems stemming mostly from electrical issues since 2000. As far as dexcool goes, my radiator separated and leaked all the coolant out 2 weeks ago where it met with the oil cooler. It was for the most part orange but a little brown in color and there was some sludge in the bottom of it and I switched to the prestone yellow stuff after replacing the radiator and the truck has never run better. Was it the dex-cool maybe or maybe not I'm just a diy'er with a chiltons manual. I have read alot of peoples problems and concerns and I don't feel like replacing any gaskets if I can help it since there is not much room in that s-10 bay with the 4.3 in there and my knuckles always end up bloody.

I am new to this forum and my parents needed my truck for moving some stuff and left the blazer with me to play around with for the next 2 weeks so I'll be lurking and asking some questions till then and hopefully I can get a few things done.

1997 s-10 blazer 4.3L vortech 4x4
-Gas gauge doesn't work... Thinking fuel sending unit.
-Crankshaft pulley? (lower left in bay) that wobbles back and forth.... Possibly the harmonic balancer?
-Serpentine belt cracking and has very slight squeaking... New gatorback belt already purchased just haven't installed.

I realize it's off topic but if anyone has an opinion on any of these plmk in im or email it would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL