2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Dexcool does not eat gaskets. never has never will. Im assuming you were either getting the gaskets at some aftermarket parts store or they were not the good updated gaskets.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i had my heater core plug up. but my blazer a 2000. and as far as i know it was never flushed out. i own it used so dont get all over me about "terrible maintence", the guy before me put a new transmission in at 75,000 cause he "thought it needed it". i digress i had no heat at all. flushed it out and so far it has worked. now i know i have stop leak mixed in with the dex-coolant. so i cant go blaming the coolant cause most likely its the stop leak pluggin up the core. switching to the green stuff asap in the summer with a complete system cleaner. the green stuff is just easier to find if i need to do a flush or top off. so im not gonna go hatin on dex-coolant cause like kyle was saying there is no lawfully found evidence. i believe gm was wrong when they said 150,000 miles or 5 years. but there was probably a * next to the 150,000 miles we didnt see.
*must be flushed every 15,000 miles to ensure the longevity of the coolant. im just letting you know my side of it.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Thanks for sharing your experience, but your problem was not due to dexcool which much of the information in this thread, had you read it all, points out. And contrary to your rant above, Dexcool does not turn to acid. That is pure FUD talking. Something else was causing the issue especially considering that most coolants now available (yes, even the green stuff) is a very similar OAT type coolant (as was also pointed out earlier in this thread).
Excuse me? That was really nasty -- and YOU don't even use Dex-cool! I did just go and slog through this because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something monumental. Now I find you are accusing me of neglect? How about the post where it is stated that Dex-Cool softens sillicone and nylon? Now, I can't say that the green doesn't do it because I haven't tested. I keep my tank full, I check for deposits and I get rid of air-bubbles. I don't know why you are busting everyone's chops that doesn't like Dex-cool but that is exactly what was happening to me. I won't even drive my Blazer if the smallest thing is wrong with it! Don't accuse me of neglect! I am under that hood at least once a week to check on things! I bid you good day sir!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM

everyones so called problems with dexcool are due to the gaskets GM used on certain year vehicles. I posted a link in here somewhere explaining it more. The gaskets had nylon in them. Nylon absorbs water which is what 50% of you coolant is. So no matter what coolant you use they will absorb the water and will eventually fail. Unless you have the new updated gaskets.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
everyones so called problems with dexcool are due to the gaskets GM used on certain year vehicles. I posted a link in here somewhere explaining it more. The gaskets had nylon in them. Nylon absorbs water which is what 50% of you coolant is. So no matter what coolant you use they will absorb the water and will eventually fail. Unless you have the new updated gaskets.
on the intake manifold right?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

I'm talking about the waterpump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Regards,

Thomas

Last edited by TFisher; 01-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
on the intake manifold right?
Im not sure if it was just the intake gaskets or all of them. I cent remember. I would have to re read it

Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My Rainier has Dexcool in it now. Actually, that has been in there since 2004 so it s 1 year over its recommended change interval of 5yrs/150,000miles. And it is still perfect. Checks out good when tested with a test strip as well as for cold protection.

And who cares what particular gasket you were talking about, this thread is about Dexcool and what you have said is an expression of FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) that your mechanic fed you.

Did your mechanic do all of this work? I bet he used different components the last time that made it work properly. Did you get the water pump replaced? If so, we have seen some people have problems with water pump gasket surfaces not being parallel and causing leaks. Maybe this is what happened in your case, but because you are so blind to other possibilities, it must be the Dexcool that hundreds of MILLIONS of vehicles use with out issue for many, MANY years. (that's a joke, lighten up)

And you may want to re-read my reply. In no way did I suggest that you neglected your truck. You have to stop taking things so personally. I simply stated that you were fed lies and are restating those very lies, all of which has been debunked in this thread already.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 AM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents....

I recently did a coolant flush replacing the Dex with green. No issues during the flush and it eliminated my coolant temp SES code(with a t-stat change too). Shortly thereafter, I brought my blazer to an instant oil change (1st time, last time!) and I had to jump out of the car quick before the mentally handicapped service man topped off my radiator with the Dex. The "supervisor" who certainly shares the same padded room chastised me for making the switch claiming that this will destroy my coolant lines, radiator etc. I took their advice with a grain of salt....

About 2 weeks ago I started smelling coolant in the cab. This is certaintly a heater core failure. I can't help but wonder if I screwed myself by making the switch. This topic was posted by me a few weeks ago and a few thought that it was just coincidence, the flush removed sediment etc.

Lastly I would like to point out that I recently acquired Alldata and upon searching through the coolant section it states that any other coolant put in the vehicle will lead to certain radiator and heater core failure and is "strictly not advised."

Fact or GM propaganda?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to make certain that you completely remove DexCool before adding another type of coolant. Your heater core failure was almost surely due to not being done regularly enough, regardless of the type coolant that was in the system. And it was the thermostat change and correct coolant level that removed the coolant SES code, not what type coolant was put in.

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL