2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Why is my floor soaked?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 AM
chewyy is on a distinguished road

Awesome, thank you for the picture, I will check it out today after work.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:04 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 PM
e2thet is on a distinguished road

If the passenger side floor board is wet it could be from a busted heater core like mine.. When the weather got warmer I clamped off my heater hoses and it dried up. Hopefully going to have mine replaced before it turns cold again but it looks like its gonna be a pain in the *** cause you have to take the dash and a bunch of other stuff out.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 PM

def not heater core... but my floor is still gettin wet.... me thinks possibly rear door seal or leaking roof rack...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 AM
chewyy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the pictures guys. I pulled those rubber things out from the picture and they were totally plugged with dirt and gunk. I would estimate half a gallon of water poured out of each side. I hope this solves my problem.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Beginning Member
Jesster is on a distinguished road
Default Most likely the drain

If it happens when the air conditioning is on, its the drain because the condensation from the evaporator core has to go somewhere(the little rubber drain part in the photo). If it happens when the heat is on its the heater core leaking and you would have a smell of coolant in the cab.

Last edited by Jesster; 10-04-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jesster
If it happens when the air conditioning is on, its the drain because the condensation from the evaporator core has to go somewhere(the little rubber drain part in the photo). If it happens when the heat is on its the heater core leaking and you would have a smell of coolant in the cab.
I'm thinking that's not the case since if either of those were true it would be the front of the truck wet not the rear......

Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Problem was solved, was rear door seal... leaked reallyyy bad too, hose for 1 min and had a huge puddle in back... got one at the yard

Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

Well the hinges didnt fix my leak. Seems this leak is common in S10 blazers because the junkyard TCCMs I purchased are corroded just like mine. Good thing I wrapped that TCCM with rags. Big rain last night and their all wet. Checked cowl drains and they seem to be draining. Checked sunroof and those drains are fine. Finally hosed down the windshield letting water drain thru cowl and bingo water seeping in thru the recirc vent flap on the passengers side. I think the leak is in the air inlet cowl but havent removed the wipers and vent yet. I can see water seeping out of the cowl inside the engine compartment as well. Why in the world would someone design a cowl that could result in a leak into the vehicle?

U gotta be kidding me!!

Source: GM TechLink

Water Leak in Front Floor Carpet Area
Affects 1998-2003 Chevrolet S-10 and
Blazer, 1998-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada,
1998-2003 GMC Sonoma, 1998-2001
GMC Jimmy (US), 1998-2003 GMC
Jimmy (Canada Only), 1998-2001 GMC
Envoy

Some of the above vehicles may have a mildew odor or wet carpet in the front passenger seat area. Here are the most common causes and cures.

- Water backing up at the plenum drain

Too much sealer at the plenum drain area can act as a dam, allowing water to back up in the plenum and either seep around the air box seal or around the lower right air box mounting screw. If a plenum drain has a ridge of sealer higher than 1/4 inch (6.4 mm), use a utility knife to cut the sealer down to 1/4 inch (6.4mm) in height.

- Voids in the plenum seam sealer

Use a mirror to examine the inside of the plenum for possible voids in the seam sealer where water can gain entry to the passenger compartment. Seal any voids using the procedures listed in the service manual.

- HVAC recirculation door being left open

The HVAC recirculation, or air box, door opens upward when the HVAC controls are set to MAX A/C. In extreme conditions, water can pool on top of this door and spill into the vehicle. This door can remain open if the HVAC mode is set to MAX A/C when the ignition key is cycled off. Customers should be informed of this condition and should be advised to turn the HVAC setting to the regular A/C or OFF position before turning the vehicle off.

TIP: Water may still leak into the passenger compartment, even with the recirculation door in the fresh air position. This may occur in extreme conditions (heavy downpours, etc.). Check for a hole above the air box (between the two threaded holes that retain the right front fender) for proper sealing. This hole should be sealed if found not to be sealed properly. To prevent water leaking into the passenger compartment(s), even under heavy downpour conditions, fabricate a small plastic dam, 3/4 inch (19 mm) high x 3 inches (76 mm) long, then glue and seal it to the recirculation register under the recirculation door. This will allow small amounts of water (1/4 inch (6.4mm) to 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) to puddle in the HVAC case without entry into the vehicle.

- Door harness boot

Water that is found in either the driver or passenger floor at the A-pillar may have entered at the door harness boot on the A-pillar side. Make sure the boot harness if fully seated in the A-pillar.

- Plenum/Cowl/Instrument sub panel (windshield tray)

Water may enter at the three piece Plenum/Cowl/Instrument sub panel. This area must be sealed from the inside of the vehicle; the dash assembly must be removed to gain access. This area can be sealed by spraying a clear sealer (KENT brand) in a gallon commercial sprayer, up under the Plenum/Cowl/Instrument sub panel.

IMPORTANT: Please follow these diagnosis processes thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing each step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicles listed and should not automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

- Thanks to GM Technical Assistance

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-28-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.