Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How-To: EGR Valve Cleaning - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 98HeavyChevy
My EGR (98 4x4 blazer) didn't have a gasket under it when I unbolted it. Could this have been half my issue? Also, I didn't find a gasket with a screen. So I got one without. Is it that big a deal? Seems like the screen will be one more thing to build up carbon and choke your exhaust.
It should have had a gasket, but if it wasn't leaking, then it likely wasn't a problem.

The screen keeps the carbon from blocking the EGR valve partially open which causes driveability concerns and can eventually damage the EGR valve. If the screen builds up with carbon to the point of blocking off the exhaust supply port, then it would set a code (P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow), but would not cause driveability concerns unless left this way for a very long time.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Beginning Member
Vicer_Exciser is on a distinguished road

This info was great! I will be doing this tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Jmaynard- I was rolling when I read that post may have peed a little lol. Sounds like you need a magnet :P

Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Oh I saw this question asked earlier but it didn't get answered I don't think. You spray the carbon cleaner in both holes?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Beginning Member
nTro is on a distinguished road

A big tx to this thread. It saved me better than $500, when I found out that a stuck pintle on my EGR was causing me to stall out at idle.

I didnt realize that it was so easy to get to the EGR and clean it (+ the screened gasket). W/O threads like this I'd have blown cash on a diag, labor, and replacement EGR.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Beginning Member
Razgriz is on a distinguished road

Looks like cleaning this on my '91 TBI is going to be a little more fun. I'll try to post pics this weekend.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Beginning Member
terbates is on a distinguished road

Wonder if anyone here has seen the code 1404 "Exhaust Gas Rercirculating (EGR) Closed Position" before?
I was told by auto parts that means the EGR valve is bad, especially if I've cleaned the "pintle" valve clean and it retracts fully into the body easily.
HaHa, not so..still getting code error.
I see online a 5 part test system to check each coded wire on the harness, which is my next step, but was wondering if anyone had any hints...thanx.
(this forum has been invaluable in keeping my Blazer going on and on)

Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM
big3d is on a distinguished road

quick question, I noticed people have around double my mileage when they have this issue, does anyone think it's still a good bet if I have under 90k?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It can't hurt. Installing the screened gasket is preventative maintenance as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member
blazinwoody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cleaning

Looking to clean both my MAF and EGR at the same time.

Could I use carbon cleaner for both? Could I use the MAF sensor cleaner for the EGR? I do have some brake cleaner laying around...could I use that for the MAF and EGR?

Would appreciate not having a million aerosol cans laying around!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How-To: EGR Valve Cleaning - DISCUSSION THREAD