Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Same here, it's all refinished but it's just sitting in my attic at home, which is 550 miles away lol. Once school is out though, that's one of my first summer projects for sure.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Red 96'
Same here, it's all refinished but it's just sitting in my attic at home, which is 550 miles away lol. Once school is out though, that's one of my first summer projects for sure.
550 miles is an acceptable excuse. Be sure to post pics, and wear rubber gloves if you use black silicone

Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
550 miles is an acceptable excuse. Be sure to post pics, and wear rubber gloves if you use black silicone
Will do!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Beginning Member
toolshed59 is on a distinguished road

alright, ive got some questions for the guys who have already installed the tire rack. what size spare do you have on the back and did you do any reenforcments to the quarter panel? i have a 02 blazer ls and im looking to instal the tire rack with the weight of a 31, possibly 33. i dont really want to die of a heart attack one day because my panels warped. thanks for the help

Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Jmooney152 is on a distinguished road

Just curious, I havent put mine on yet. I was wondering why nobody reused the factory bolts? Is there a problem with them?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jmooney152
Just curious, I havent put mine on yet. I was wondering why nobody reused the factory bolts? Is there a problem with them?
i didnt reuse them because the hardware i used i put thru the inner and outer sheet metal...so they were way to short.

also i used new grade 5 hardware and honestly its easier then trying to match up and refinish to reuse those stock bolts.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Look back on the previous page, at post #92 of this thread. That's what it would take to reuse the factory bolts on the carrier itself. You would also have to do quite a bit of cutting on the endgate to reuse the bolts that hold that part on.

Speaking of which...what did you use to cut that out, Matt? It looks brutal. I cut myself just looking at it.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

You could use them. I matched the drill bit to the holes in the brackets on the carrier and the 1/2" bit fit perfectly. Plus, another guy on here said he had used 1/2" so I used that and drilled the holes before realizing that the stock bolts were narrower.

Also, they may be too short depending on how you decide to bolt it down.

Originally Posted by toolshed59
alright, ive got some questions for the guys who have already installed the tire rack. what size spare do you have on the back and did you do any reenforcments to the quarter panel? i have a 02 blazer ls and im looking to instal the tire rack with the weight of a 31, possibly 33. i dont really want to die of a heart attack one day because my panels warped. thanks for the help
I have a 31" tire on it and no problems yet. I've only had it on for about a week though so I don't really have any long-term info yet. The only reinforcement I have are several giant washers.

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
...Speaking of which...what did you use to cut that out, Matt? It looks brutal. I cut myself just looking at it.
Some metal snip/shears. They weren't ideal but they worked. I tried a dremel first but the cheap battery powered one I have didn't have enough force to cut much. The ones I have are too large to work in close quarters so I ended up having to make tons of smaller cuts which led to all those sharp points

Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

looks like im joining the club!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

congrats man, looks like a good install to me.
hope you enjoy this mod as much as i do.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD