Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

probably alot easier to tighten them...

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
Do the go through to the inside panel? If not, how the hell did you get your hands in there lol.
It's only bolted to the outside panel. I enlarged some of the existing holes near the top bolts and I cut my own access hole at the bottom to get to those bolts. Most of them have double stacked 2" fender washers against the metal. I have some flat bar stock that I might use to make a support bar that goes between the top and bottom bolt against the body panel.

This picture was from last week and I've since replaced the washers with larger ones and the better socket cap bolts.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
It's only bolted to the outside panel. I enlarged some of the existing holes near the top bolts and I cut my own access hole at the bottom to get to those bolts. Most of them have double stacked 2" fender washers against the metal. I have some flat bar stock that I might use to make a support bar that goes between the top and bottom bolt against the body panel.

This picture was from last week and I've since replaced the washers with larger ones and the better socket cap bolts.
Damn. Can't nobody ever say you're afraid to cut **** up

Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran

lol wow... I didn't cut near as much as you did, I only cut the top of the floor a little to get to the bottom bolts

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

How did you guys get the middle bolts on then? Did you screw the nut down against the outside sheet metal or did you drill through more metal and use longer bolts?

Those sharp, jagged edges drew some blood rofl.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
How did you guys get the middle bolts on then? Did you screw the nut down against the outside sheet metal or did you drill through more metal and use longer bolts?

Those sharp, jagged edges drew some blood rofl.
I used short bolts on the middle ones like you did, but I used a small surgical forceps to put the washers and nut on. I used a lock washer, so I was able to tighten from the outside (barely) with the open end of a wrench. I broke the chuck in my dremel, or else I would have cut bigger holes.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran

I used many socket extensions and flexible joints and a lot of patients to do mine...

Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
I used many socket extensions and flexible joints and a lot of patients to do mine...
You're a doctor?

Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
You're a doctor?
I thought the same thing after I read that ha! Why can't summer come quicker!!! I want to put my tire rack on so bad it's rediculous lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Red 96'
I thought the same thing after I read that ha! Why can't summer come quicker!!! I want to put my tire rack on so bad it's rediculous lol.
Go for it man. You can knock it out in a day (especially if you have patients doing all the work for you lol)

I guess I'm not one to criticize though, I've had my carrier for months and just finally got around to putting it on

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD