Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by litterbug
yeah... that rusted away if you lived anywhere where they used a ton of salt during the winter!!!!
Because of poor maintenance... I've never had one rust away on me living in NY my entire life... But I digress, not really the topic of this thread. Besides. The carrier under the truck cannot accommodate larger than factory tire sizes so those with larger tires must move it to someplace else anyway.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Starting Member
InsanePyro is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Because of poor maintenance... I've never had one rust away on me living in NY my entire life... But I digress, not really the topic of this thread. Besides. The carrier under the truck cannot accommodate larger than factory tire sizes so those with larger tires must move it to someplace else anyway.
This is my argument against your previous post lol...and yeah my tire rack is doing fine for its age

Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

well ive only had the truck for like 2 years. not my fault!!!! lol ive kept my baby washed almost every week. and a couple times during winter.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member
hammer051 is on a distinguished road

I am putting MY spare tire rack on this weekend!!!!! I bought it off a dude who killed his ZR2 drunk driving... hahaha his stupidity my gain! Although I agree that there isn't a whole lot of a need to reinforce the brackets, I am thinking I will. In a few years when I am done with college for good and have better pay, I plan on lifting it again and getting 35's on her! I might as well prepare to have a beastily tire on there so I don't have to adjust then!

Thanks for the assistance guys!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:29 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hammer051
I am putting MY spare tire rack on this weekend!!!!! I bought it off a dude who killed his ZR2 drunk driving... hahaha his stupidity my gain! Although I agree that there isn't a whole lot of a need to reinforce the brackets, I am thinking I will. In a few years when I am done with college for good and have better pay, I plan on lifting it again and getting 35's on her! I might as well prepare to have a beastily tire on there so I don't have to adjust then!

Thanks for the assistance guys!
It's well worth it, IMO. One thing I forgot to mention when I posted pics of my install: Make sure you measure the distance between the two bolts the brace go on. There are measurements back somewhere in the thread, but mine didn't come out exactly that way. I probably angled my drill a little bit. It still worked out the same way, and it's sturdy as hell.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Just found this:

Info listed is
#6 **685521 PLATE SPA WHL CARR TAP T1(16) (P16) 95-04
#7 **992898 PLATE RR BPR IMP BAR EXTN STUD ST1(06-16) (P16) 99-01

Looks like there is an actual part that can go inside. Gonna make a trip to the dealer on monday and see.

Last edited by mdehoogh; 04-16-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I'm gonna be really pissed if those plates are threaded that would have made all the custom work a waste of time

Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

is this the point at which we say collectively ..........

D'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
is this the point at which we say collectively ..........

D'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yeah, no kidding. Info is so hard to find on the tire carriers, though. Speaking of that...where did you find the parts list Matt?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

And definatley keep us updated if these parts are attainable, and pricing

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD