Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

I went through both sheets. When I tightened the nuts down onto the steel plate I added.. the panel did pull in alot. But since it is behind the interior panel I didn't care too much. If anyone else has any questions feel free to PM or post on here. I'll answer what ever needs explaining. I can even take more pics if anyone needs some more.

Last edited by closer; 03-12-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Looks good man! I've wanted to do this to mine, but I can't find a carrier anywhere close to me. Looking through your pics, I kept thinking "I hope he paints that". I was relieved when I saw that you did

mdehoogh, man up and do it already lol.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

I live in southern Indiana. I went to a junkyard in Indy 3 weeks ago and to my surprize there were 3 two door blazers with the complete carriers on them. If it didn't cost so much to ship stuff I should go back and pull them off. It was pretty cheap. I got alot of stuff and I didn't spend over $75. But I used the spare from under mt blazer.
And yes it was pretty nasty looking. I just waited to paint it after I got it mounted so I could paint the head of all the bolts. Plus I scratched the crap out of my tail light gaurds. Oh... if you put the carrier on with guards like mine. The guard sits against the bottom side of the upper mount. They fit... But not as well as I would of hoped for.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
Looks good man! I've wanted to do this to mine, but I can't find a carrier anywhere close to me. Looking through your pics, I kept thinking "I hope he paints that". I was relieved when I saw that you did

mdehoogh, man up and do it already lol.
:P

Work and school are in the way of my freetime lol. This week is spring break so maybe I'll get a chance to work on it soon.

Also, there's a carrier on a truck at a yard here in Ft. Worth. It's the same yard I got mine from for $20. About an hour south of the OK border straight down I35

Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
:P

Work and school are in the way of my freetime lol. This week is spring break so maybe I'll get a chance to work on it soon.

Also, there's a carrier on a truck at a yard here in Ft. Worth. It's the same yard I got mine from for $20. About an hour south of the OK border straight down I35

Hmmm, tempting. I'm about 3 hours away from DFW, though. Will the yard remove it, or do I have to do it? My wife drives through DFW every other month on her way to Waco to visit family, I could have her pick it up, but she wouldn't take it off the vehicle. Wives are funny like that, go figure. Her Grandma works in Dallas and comes home every other week, I doubt she'd be up to removing a tire carrier.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

Preparing to do mine in the next couple weeks or so, All who have done it are still having no body flex? I dont have a problem drilling into things, just dont want that back quarter panel to be wavy and then more things not line up

Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

Theres a dent in my quarter pannel at the top because i forgot to latch it and it swung out while i was driving but other than that mine has been holding up good

Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

Damn that sucks, but alright, did you put any reinforcement behind the body panels or none?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i have a locking cable to secure mine, that way it cant swing out if i dont latch it all the way. no reinf. and no warping at all going on 1 yr now.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

So many of you have swingout carriers in yards by you, I wish I could find one by me. You guys always say that shipping would be crazy expensive. Have any of you ever checked for sure how much it would cost? I think that for the price you can get the carrier it would still be worth it to ship it as oppossed to paying like 600 bucks for all the crap from the dealer.. Even frieght shipping would probably be only like what 60 bucks or something like that? Most of you say you picked up your carriers for something like 40 bucks right?

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD