Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Beginning Member
Blazin4x4trailz is on a distinguished road

I have had two tire carriers and highly recommend backing plates. It only takes a Lil cutting from the tail light. I have pics I can email to big to post from phone. Did one with bolts which holds very well even off roading just if you ever let the door swing it will pull out slowly. Won't pull with backing plates. I used quarter inch plate cut it 2x1 drilled and treaded it. Then cut holes in the lights opening to Get them in. Can stand on it to get on the roof and it supports my weight with the tire.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

I just used very big washers seem to the job just fine for reinforcement

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Managed to get lucky at the pick 'n pull, and scored carrier for $19.16, out the door! I got all the holes drilled tonight, and I've got it loosely mounted. I was hoping to reuse all the old hardware I took off the 2dr, and just put nuts on the backside. But I think they are too short, so I'll have to make another run to the hardware store in the morning. Also, I'm thinking a hole saw will make life much easier. I'll try to get pictures up soon!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i would run bolts thru both inner and outer panels. will make a huge diff in the long run.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran

Hmm... You're right. It would probably be much easier to get nuts on the bolts with the bolts ran all the way through both panels. I saw it mentioned earlier, but a regular size drill bit can reach through both panels, right?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran

I got it done! Not the prettiest install ever, but it seems plenty strong! I ended up going through both the inner and outer panels for support. I didn't add anything extra, though. If it looks like there are any signs of movement or sag, I'll probably go back in and add some.

I have don't have the one-piece lift gate, I've got the tailgate-style, so no trimming was needed. I'm not sure what years and makes this will apply to, so, as always, YMMV.

Didn't get a chance to add silicone, but I will be doing that probably next weekend.

Last edited by cleburne red; 08-25-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: trying to fix pictures...
Old 08-25-2012, 07:57 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Pictures are so small my eyes are straining =(

Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 PM
BF Veteran

Ok, pictures should be clickable, now. Took me a minute to figure out photobucket. Hope it works for everybody.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Nice clean install

Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

looks great, glad you got it done.
someone needs to start a thread to show off the four door tire carrier look....ok ok...i will do it

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD