Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Finished! Just a few cut knuckles and a bit of frustration later, but completely worth it

Attached Thumbnails so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-img_0806.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-img_0805.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

nice rack!!

looks good on there. the spare...meehhhhhhh.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Thanks! I plan on either buying tire cover to hide it, or get a matching rim with my tax refund haha

Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Beginning Member
IronDobe is on a distinguished road

Looks good man.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Red 96'
Thanks! I plan on either buying tire cover to hide it, or get a matching rim with my tax refund haha
Looks good! Nice install! I found my spare rim at the junkyard. It doesn't quite match the other four but has the same backspacing and is the same size (15x7) so it's all good.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Be ware though, I was unprepared for just how much of the rear glass view is blocked by the spare. Looking at Tibby's big spare, I can't even imagine how much is blocked by that big tire.

I'm looking on ebay for spare tire covers; you can get something nice delivered for like $14.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yeah, with a 33 on the back the rear view is gone.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
turple27 is on a distinguished road

alright i got a few questions, i going to pick up a tire carrier for my blazer tomorrow. i was wondering if any of you know if the 1st gen carriers are the same as the 2nd because they look identical but im not sure if the hinges are the same. also is there anything i need to take from the inside panels of the blazer? i have to take it off myself so i was just looking for some suggestions on what id need

Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
BF Veteran

first gen and second gen are not the same. first gen is square body..second gen is rounded.

all you need to take is the carrier and the strike plate on the tail gate. make sure all the components are on the carrier. hinges, release mechanism, rubber stoppers and handle. i have seen several that are missing small parts.
the bolts you will need to get from a store...stock bolts wont work on the install if you never had a carrier in the first place.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member
turple27 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
first gen and second gen are not the same. first gen is square body..second gen is rounded.

all you need to take is the carrier and the strike plate on the tail gate. make sure all the components are on the carrier. hinges, release mechanism, rubber stoppers and handle. i have seen several that are missing small parts.
the bolts you will need to get from a store...stock bolts wont work on the install if you never had a carrier in the first place.
alright and i wasnt sure. ive been calling junk yards for weeks around here and they didnt have one but they actually called me after i posted before and got one in. and yah i never planned on using the stock bolts, i read alot of this thread of whats needed for the install. so hopefully my install goes good when i do it

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD