Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

mine never worked

Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

I'm having an issue with my tire carrier wobbling when on certain rough roads. It seems to be bouncing back and forth on the 2 rubber bumpers with the latch being the pivot. It's pretty violent and I'm pretty sure that the tailgate will eventually fatigue crack. It has a 35" tire on it, and I modified the rack so the tire mounts firmly to the rack, but it has been raised 2" up in order to clear the rear bumper(and ruin my rear visibility)

Is there a solution to this? Is it just normal? Anyone have an idea to help the issue? I am going to put a ratchet strap from the roof rack, over the tire to the trailer hitch to hold it steady on rough roads, but I would like a less PITA solution.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

You should be able to adjust the rubber bumpers out so that they rest firmly on the strike plate when latched. That's what I did and I can't make mine move at all. It basically makes the latch work against/with the bumpers to hold everything snug. I also think it helps to hold the latch latched on the bumps and such but I could be wrong on that part lol.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM

The bumpers were adjusted pretty firm when I got it. I have to close it with a fair bit of force already. It is noticeably worse(the wobble) when the weather is hot vs cold now that I think of it.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm well then scratch that idea lol!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM

I'm thinking I'll try to cut the rubber bumpers down so they compress less and adjust them to regain the tension.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 PM
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

This is definitely something I am looking forward to doing one day.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member
04SSBlazer is on a distinguished road

Getting ready to do this to my 04 very soon actually on the phone with a yard to see if they have on. What I'm getting out of this is that some people made an extra support and some just used some big washers and they are still holding strong.?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member
l008com is on a distinguished road

I've got the full carrier, striker plate and bolts off my 98 ZR2 if anyone in the Boston area is looking to purchase one. PM me.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

Installed mine a few weeks ago after having it in storage in the basement for about a year. I had two backing plates made at work but didn't get any pics of them. They were rolled to match the body and fit perfect when I finally got them in posistion.

Attached Thumbnails so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-framob240514710_zps0c2036a8.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-framob240514703_zpsa9048c3a.jpg  

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD