Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mczuk
Installed mine a few weeks ago after having it in storage in the basement for about a year. I had two backing plates made at work but didn't get any pics of them. They were rolled to match the body and fit perfect when I finally got them in posistion.

The carrier looks great. Nice work.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:00 PM
charlesfrance is on a distinguished road

Hello
you show outside but do you have more pics from the Inside and the mount you have to do ?
it will help me because i got one but i am not sure to be able to do it
thanks

Old 10-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I've got some pretty detailed pics in my build thread of how I did mine. Sorry I'm not sure which page they are on tho.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:44 PM
247monster will become famous soon enough

So I have been kicking the idea around and I wanted to get duel exhaust too.I went to get my exhaust done was told I can't have my spare underneath if I want my pipes.

So....I just read all 50 some pages of this trend and think....I'm going to have to get very clever with how I do this and I don't know if I wanna find a tire rack from a s10 blazer or just go and make it from scratch

It's the only pic of the back of my truck lol oh and BTW lol I have a 4 door Yukon lol so it's kinda the same just ....bigger

Attached Thumbnails so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-20141005_142958_zpshyhtcvg3.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I don't think a blazer rack will work on there. Your tail lights are in the way of mounting the top foot. I think you should go all out and build a bumper with built in carrier lol!

Old 10-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Been kicking around a few ideas I was thinking of using the arm off the Blazers tire rack and making it mount to the body or bumper like you said ...I have a big heavy duty utility bumper that I might play with

Old 10-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Beginning Member
RidinWithHarry is on a distinguished road

I know this is the least awesome idea but my folks used to have a late 98 (or maybe it was a 99) suburban with an in-the-trunk style carrier where it mounted on the side of the wall in the trunk. It was covered with a tire cover that matched the carpet interior. You could probably pick one of those up from a junkyard and 'make it fit' (advanced mechanical engineering methodology). The biggest problems that I can think of is having to cut into your interior, being limited by the trunk height for tire size (which may not be an issue), and loss of trunk space. Just pitching ideas here and letting you swing at 'em if ya like. Since discovering this thread, I've hunted down a junkyard with a spare tire rack for my blazer. Hopefully, I'll have time to get it and mount it this week

Old 10-20-2014, 07:19 PM

I've looked into that but I have storage bins that go off the wheel wells that one side holds my jack and and stuff then the other side I keep my tools in it. I also kicked the idea of putting my spare on my roof like I had with my blazer ...but if I do that I'd want a basket but....I kinda wanna go the road less traveled on and do a tire rack lol

Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member
RidinWithHarry is on a distinguished road

Okay. My drivers side wall also has a bin for my jack. I'm actually jealous that you have a bin on the other side too. Well if you don't mind sacrificing the view area through the rear window, then I think this is the best idea. I never liked the idea of carrying my spare on the roof because that takes away from roof carry space and that's where I stick stuff like bicycles and canoes.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Starting Member
jkyle187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default diagram i found with web site

Spare Tire Carrier

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD