Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
How much is that in Merkin money? It seems like you can almost get a Rotopax jug for that price (when you include the can itself).
I paid about $50 for the Wavian holder though you can find them on Amazon and ebay for $46-50 bucks. The actual jerry can I paid anothe $50-60 for and it came with the hose attachment. Altogether when you factor shipping probably looking at $100-115 total and this is before getting the holder welded to the swing out arm and buying a lock for it if you don't already have one.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:16 PM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Tom, where did you get the coil springs you're using with the tire carrier? Do they seem to help with the lifting? I've been thinking of incorporating some into mine is why I ask.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member
Wild_Thing XI is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
Don is pretty spot on. They go for around 20-25 or so in the local you pull it yards. But I've seen them on Craigslist for as high as $250. If you are headed to Western Iowa, I could hook you up!

Also, I wanna see some pics of these jerry can add ons, fellas. Sounds bad ****.

Thanks for the offer, the guy charged me 50 for it, he even helped me take it off, had to drill out 2 bolts. It'll be a while until I throw it on, but I'm super happy that I have one.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Beginning Member
mrwrolguy is on a distinguished road

I have a 97 gmc jimmy 4x4 looking to do this mod too my 4 door ... just having problem finding the swing arm and latch that bolts too the tailgate... my tailgate folds down if that matters. Hit me up If you have any info. Thanks. Here is a link to my facebook with a picture of my rig. Just added mudders and a lift. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 12-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by mrwrolguy
I have a 97 gmc jimmy 4x4 looking to do this mod too my 4 door ... just having problem finding the swing arm and latch that bolts too the tailgate... my tailgate folds down if that matters. Hit me up If you have any info. Thanks. Here is a link to my facebook with a picture of my rig. Just added mudders and a lift. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
replying too my own post LOL think I found one if I can get it shipped. false alarm its off a square body 1 gen

Last edited by mrwrolguy; 12-16-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eshaw
Tom, where did you get the coil springs you're using with the tire carrier? Do they seem to help with the lifting? I've been thinking of incorporating some into mine is why I ask.
I bought them from etrailer. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but they were pretty reasonable. And they help tremendously. That thing is so heavy I would practically get a hernia lifting it without the springs. With them, I can do it with one hand.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:42 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone yet found a cheap and easy fix for the worn out plastic bushings in the hinges on these carriers? Mine drive's me nuts, rattling over every bump lol

Old 12-15-2019, 09:33 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Has anyone yet found a cheap and easy fix for the worn out plastic bushings in the hinges on these carriers? Mine drive's me nuts, rattling over every bump lol
I think Christine has a similar sounding thread, on replacing the bushings...

Old 12-15-2019, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Originally Posted by N. Jensen
I think Christine has a similar sounding thread, on replacing the bushings...
I did some preliminary investigating into this. The tire carrier I found (for $80 plus a 200 mle drive) has its bushings still in pretty good shape. My idea was that to replace them with bronze flanged bushings. I found a good selection at McMaster Carr but that is only one place.

According to my notes, the ones that should work are ID 5/8", OD 3/4". Standard flanged bushings will have to have their flange thickness thinned by grinding down to be 1/16" thick.

I'm attaching my notes that I made from measuring the original bushings on my carrier.

Forgive my bad hand-writing; I inherited it from my mother. LOL

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Orig Bushing measurements.pdf (19.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by eshaw

you have that facebook link for the rear tire carrier... cant find it on facebook market place... I want to purchase it.. Thanks

Anyone got a rear swing tire carrier... paypal ready I can also be messaged on facebook here is a picture of my rig. New member here so I cant hit the classifieds yet.. Thanks. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by mrwrolguy; 12-16-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD