Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

1st generation blazer audio

Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 AM
1992ChevyBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default 1st generation blazer audio

Hey guys and gals.

I am wanting to know what you have done with you 1st gen. audio wise.
I got a 92 2 door, It came with 2 10" 1800W boss subs. unknown ohm/rms.
right now it only has one 4x6 dash speaker working, Drivers side. the other speakers are gone.

I am wondering how you setup your blazer. What are good speakers?
I heard something about kick panel add-ons somewhere a long time ago.
I Like my bass but yet I also like to here the voice.. im into a little bit of everything and the wife loves country music. if that makes a difference.

Any speaker tips would be helpful.

Thank you.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The link listed is pretty much a run of the mill setup. If all you're looking for is to get a more rounded sound out of the rest of the speakers then simply replacing the front 4x6's and the 6x9's in the rear with whatever looks good to you is all you need to do. If you're wanting to get some much better sound from the setup then there's a few extra things that can be done that will make a big difference.

The budget you would like to stay within would be a great place to start. That will give us an idea on what we can recommend. The end goal for what you want to do would be the second step, what are you wanting from the upgrades/replacements? If the BOSS subs are working for you that's cool but they're one of the cheapest brands out there. If you truly like your bass there's a lot of other suggestions that can be made for you on that front as well. It will all depend on your budget. One of the biggest things to remember though is that you don't have to do it all at once. You can buy it all one piece at a time and therefore get what you really want/need for your truck.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 03-02-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 PM

Altoncustomtech,
The Boss Subs came with it. He claimed they were good but I know boss is a cheaper setup than most.. I had there speakers in my S-10. No-bass-High crackling voice
Budget is kind of open right now. It is something that will be done overtime.

Let me start by saying, My old 300M had the perfect sound system in my opinion.
11 speakers wired into a 640 watt amp in the truck, Was Stock.
2 tweeters in the door sails, one in the dash, 2 6.5" in the front doors, 2 tweeters and 2 6.5" in rear doors and 6X9s in the rear deck lid. and it vibrated the car but when the windows were cracked/open you could here clean crisp voice over the rattling license plate... ha ha ha.

I would like to find a flip out radio with GPS so save me from always having one on my windshield.
I want to know what you guys have done to improve your blazers audio.
Amp to door speakers? what size subwoofers? ported any different than sealed?
Brands?

Sorry if it doesn't make any sense but im new to this.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
richphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the rough

I have a 12" alpine type r at 750w rms in my first gen, in a ported box that is tuned to 32 or 33hz.
I have some q-form kick panels sitting here waiting for warm weather so I can put another amp and some components.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1992ChevyBlazer View Post
Altoncustomtech,
The Boss Subs came with it. He claimed they were good but I know boss is a cheaper setup than most.. I had there speakers in my S-10. No-bass-High crackling voice
Budget is kind of open right now. It is something that will be done overtime.

Let me start by saying, My old 300M had the perfect sound system in my opinion.
11 speakers wired into a 640 watt amp in the truck, Was Stock.
2 tweeters in the door sails, one in the dash, 2 6.5" in the front doors, 2 tweeters and 2 6.5" in rear doors and 6X9s in the rear deck lid. and it vibrated the car but when the windows were cracked/open you could here clean crisp voice over the rattling license plate... ha ha ha.

I would like to find a flip out radio with GPS so save me from always having one on my windshield.
I want to know what you guys have done to improve your blazers audio.
Amp to door speakers? what size subwoofers? ported any different than sealed?
Brands?

Sorry if it doesn't make any sense but im new to this.
It all makes plenty of sense. The one thing you have to remember about the 300M is that everything in that car was built and designed to work together pretty much flawlessly. You couldn't just toss that many speakers into your Blazer and it sound anything like the car did.

When you're building your own system, especially when starting out, it's best to stick to the best age old recommendation of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), lol. The simplest and easiest thing to do is just toss in a couple sets of speakers that fit the factory locations and call it done. A little better way to go is to use some relatively decent speakers and put an amp on them. If you're up to the challenge and have the fabrication skills you can go with a good component set with great installation and really get some good sound out of your truck. Another MAJOR component to getting the better setups to sound good is a good application of sound deadening. Not just the CLD tiles (most commonly known as Dynamat) but also the use of CCF (closed cell foam) and MLV (mass loaded vinyl). I could go into the all the details of what they do and why they're so good to use but I'll leave that to you to read up on at Sound Deadener Showdown. The site contains some of the best information that exists on the use and application of sound deadening materials and sells some of the best products available as well.

As for what I've used in my Jimmy which is a 2nd gen truck, I started off with a Kenwood KDC-X492 running a pair of Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" components in the front doors. I built a set of custom baffles for the front doors and went to a set of Bravox CS60K 6.5" components powered by a Sundown SAX-125.2. Also while working on that I began building a box for a single 10" SSA XCON subwoofer with matching 10" passive radiators to give me the tight bass of a sealed setup with the low end response of a ported ran off a Sundown SAZ-1500D. I still wasn't happy with the sound of the components though and switched the Kenwood out for a Clarion CZ702 to eventually go to running the component set actively instead of using the passive crossovers that came with them. I never got that far though and have started on the installation of 3" Fountek full range drivers and 8" Peerless dedicated midbass drivers with the 8's each being ran off a Boston GT2125 bridged and the Fountek's will be run with the Sundown 125.2. The active capability of the Clarion lets me run the Fountek's from 250hz on up, the Peerless 8's from 300hz down to 60hz and the subwoofer from 50hz down. Right now the sound is absolutely AMAZING with unbelievable realism, stage and imaging. The 3" only work right aimed directly on axis which is what requires the fiberglass work.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

when it comes to audio there are plenty of options and everyone has an opinion. I've probably had 10 different setups in my 89 blazer over about 12 years. I would recommend something that fits you. I personally run Sony Decks and speakers because of the life span and value for my dollar. It's extremely important when dealing with car audio equipment to make sure the specs matchup with any amp your wanting to run. I've just recently began upgrading all mine to 4 way speakers. I'm waiting to get it from my mechanic so I can get it painted before I install it but I'll keep you posted on it and let you know how it sounds

Old 04-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Beginning Member
green97blazur is on a distinguished road

Really any door speakers will sound good if they are amped. Get some decent door speakers, possibly components and put them on a 2 or 4 channel amp.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM

I know I created this forum a while ago but I got to say thank you all.

I got a 150 Watt 4 channel amp from my brother (Given to me)
He wired it and then bridged it so 75 watts per 1600 watt sub.. I know under powered...
I got a set of sony 4X6's in the dash with 16 gauge wired into the deck (Dual)
and a set of sony 6X9's in the back 1/4's and it seems to sound better to me.. it might just be my mind playing games but I got my mirrors to move a little more and I got complements on how it sounds.. the dash puts out enough voice to compensate the little bit of bass.. to me it sounds good but could be better.. hope to get a new setup here soon. my brother is looking to upgrade again!