Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2ohm or 4ohm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: 2ohm or 4ohm?

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

whatever happend to the argument that power does not blow speakers? and why do people tell others to set their gains low to avoid this? my pioneer deck has 2v outputs.....with the lack of a dmm i set my gains to the highest setting, which is +9 (of the available 0, +6, or +9) on my alpine mrd-m501.

the best protection for your drivers is your ear, if they're bottoming out, or are distorting, then you know you have problems. The sundown audio nightshade for example is a high end competition sub rated at like 1000rms(or around there) but can take 6000+watts on burps and be fine......power does NOT kill subs
why would you set your gains without a DMM??? setting them to the highest setting is just asking for trouble.

And yes some woofers can take 6000w burps....BURPS is the key word there. They last all of 3 seconds. Running 6kwdaily on your woofers is just retarded

Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 PM
oakleyg is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

whatever happend to the argument that power does not blow speakers? and why do people tell others to set their gains low to avoid this? my pioneer deck has 2v outputs.....with the lack of a dmm i set my gains to the highest setting, which is +9 (of the available 0, +6, or +9) on my alpine mrd-m501.

the best protection for your drivers is your ear, if they're bottoming out, or are distorting, then you know you have problems. The sundown audio nightshade for example is a high end competition sub rated at like 1000rms(or around there) but can take 6000+watts on burps and be fine......power does NOT kill subs
Power does blow subs, why do you think clipped signals are bad? Because they more power than a normal unclipped signal.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

been like this for quite some time now jag, no problems and it sounds pretty good. reason i didnt set it with a dmm is because i dont have one....

and i just used the nightshade for an example.....my 501 will not clip on bass i love you untill i have it at like 90% volume....