Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

97 Blazer + DC Power Inverter - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 AM
ryacu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 Blazer + DC Power Inverter - Help!

I have a 97 blazer that I am trying to install a dc power inverter into. In order to use my laptop, I need a stronger source of power than the cigarette lighter can provide. Where is the best/easiest place to get a good/solid connection for positive and ground? I'm going to need to use 14AWG wire, and I'd like to mount the inverter in the glove box. Is there anywhere inside the cab that I can tap into power? If I have to go under the hood, where would you suggest? I was thinking of tapping into the positive alternator lug and then negative on the mounting bolt...

I know you can get the big fancy battery terminals with lots of connectors, but I'm not willing to invest much time, effort, or money into this.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: 97 Blazer + DC Power Inverter - Help!

you could just tap into the radio wires. if you want a constant 12v, use the orange wire. for a switched 12, ie when ignition is on, use the yellow. you can just tie into the ground there as well, or just run a new ground to the firewall

Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 AM

What all is involved with getting the radio out? I've heard you have to take the whole dash apart.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

its really not that hard at all. two screws above the steering column, and gently start prying from the corner closest to the glove compartment. unplug the 4wd switch is applicable. then there are 4 7 or 8mm screws on the actual radio itself, and 4 for the heater controls(which need loosened, but not taken all the way out.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 AM

What exactly am I prying on; on the corner closest to the glove box? Am I taking the ENTIRE dash off, or just the radio surround?

Are the screws that I need to remove in the speedometer 'cove'?

Old 04-27-2006, 12:26 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

If your laptop runs on 12VDC like most do you don't really need an inverter, just power the laptop directly off the battery. If you plan on plugging the laptop into an inverter you have an inefficient series of conversions from DC>AC>DC. I suggest First look at the power cord for the laptop, there should be something the size of a brick attatched, this is a converter to condition, and rectify the AC power to 12 VDC, it should say something like 13.3 volts DC or 12 Volts DC or 9-14 votls DC or something like that, if you're in the ballpark of 12 volts you'll be okay, if it says 24 volts (unlikely) or 9 volts (again unlikely) you will need some kind of transformer at which point it may be as easy to use your plan with an inverter. If your laptop requires 12 volts DC then all you have to do is make a patch cord to adapt the battery terminals to fit into the socket where you'd plug in the power cord on the laptop. If you go down to your local radio shack they should have a cigarette lighter adaptor without a plug on the other end and if you take the laptop and your power cord they should be able to find the correct plug to fit into your laptop. Then all you'd need to do is connect the plug to the cord coming out of the cigarette lighter adaptor and plug everything in. That's just the way I'd do it, you might get different opinions.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
audiophyl is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not go to the radio for power, as that wire is only designed to draw about 10 amps, which a power invertor will draw much more than that.

I would go to the accessory power in the ignition harness. You will have to check this wire with a meter, but if should be orange under the dash.

Good luck to ya!